- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Pimiento Cheese Spread Recipes - Best Ever Cheese Pimento Variations
Pimiento cheese is a delightful combination of grated cheese, mayonnaise and chopped pimiento (cherry red) peppers, yielding a delicate pink cheese spread, which is spicy and very versatile. It can be used on grilled and plain sandwiches, as a dip served with crackers or celery, as a sauce for hamburgers, grilled meat and hot dogs, or as a sauce in pasta dishes or for stuffed mushrooms and pepper dishes. The terms 'Pimiento' and 'Pimento' are interchangeable.
Like many simple dishes, the devil is in the detail. The heart of a great pimiento spread is the cheese, which is usually Cheddar cheese, but various combinations of cheeses are used to create unique flavors. Many people use sharp Cheddar and highly quality craft and gourmet cheeses. Parmesan and various types of flavored cream cheeses are also used.
The choice of the mayonnaise is also very important with the experts preferring to use their own secret home made mayonnaise recipes.
Also, good quality pimientos (canned, pickled or fresh cherry red peppers) are essential. You can also use a variety of other red peppers, including very hot ones.
Garlic and the spices and sauces used, determine how hot the paste is on the taste buds. paprika is often added to darken the color.
The final crowing glory is the texture which depends on how finely the cheese is grated, how finely the pimentos are chopped, the amount of liquid in the ingredients and whether a food processor is used. Some people prefer 'chunky' style spreads, others like their spreads smooth and silky. Color is also important. Home made Pimiento Cheese Spreads can range from cream to orange, from pink to red. Children are intrigued by the color.
Discover the secrets of making delicious pimento cheese spreads at home with this collection of the best very recipes.
Simple Pimiento Cheese Recipe with Sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups good quality mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoons onion, very finely grated or chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (for a deeper color)
- 8 oz (250 g) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz (125 g) jar pimiento (cherry red) peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
Combine all the ingredients, adding the cheese last. This simple home made cheese pimiento spread can be stored in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Cheese Pimiento Dip Recipe Made with Cream Cheese, Cheddar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons pimientos, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons onion, finely grated or chopped
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated (or similar)
- 3 oz (100 g) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh garlic
Beat the cream cheese in a mixer or food processor until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until well blended, but leaving the pimientos as distinct pieces in the dip.
Pimento Cheese Recipe with Parmesan Cheese and Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
Mix the cream cheese until smooth using a portable mixer. Then add the sour cream, mayonnaise and garlic salt and mix well until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Spicy Pimento Cheese Recipe with Onion, Garlic and Hot Sauce
- 8 oz (250 g) cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 very small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, home made preferred
- 1/2 cup chopped pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli sauce or Tabasco sauce
Place the garlic, cream cheese and onion into the bowl of a processor. Pulse until just smooth. Then, add the Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise and hot sauce and pulse again. Then, add the cheese in two batches and the pimientos ann blend to the consistency you prefer. The dip will thicken when chilled.
Pimento Cheese Recipe made with Roasted Fresh Red Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 oz (125 g) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, good quality
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 red pepper, roasted, then peeled and chopped
Shred the cheese, and then add all the other ingredients to food processor bowl. Pulse until well combined, but do not blend to a smooth paste. Add the grated cheese and pulse lightly to just mix. Chill for 30 minutes before serving, as this thickens the dip.
Parmesan Cheese Spread Recipe with Sriracha Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce
- 1 lb (500 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese in a bowl using an electric mixer, until the mixture is light and smooth and beat together with a mixer until the sauce is smooth. Add the Sriracha sauce, dry mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Fold through Parmesan cheese. Chill for 30-60 minutes to allow the spread to thicken and to blend the flavors.
© 2015 Dr. John Anderson