Pina Colada Muffins - Recipe with Pictures
© All Rights Reserved
Pina colada, a popular cocktail packed with tropical flavors, is the creative force behind my today's muffins. A can of crushed pineapple has been loitering in my kitchen cabinet for quite a few days. It's time to put it to yummy use! But should I bake simple pineapple muffins? Meh. According to the muffin scientist in me, my homemade goodies can be a lot more exciting with some seductive aromas of rum and coconut. So, my dear reader, below is my successful muffin experiment. By the way, it is a 6-muffin recipe. If you want to bake at least a dozen, don't forget to double the ingredients.
Please Rate this Muffin Recipe
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 6 regular muffins
Ingredients for Pina Colada Muffins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tbsps milk
- 3 tbsps canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Recipe Tweaking Tips - Making Your Muffins Your Way
- There's technically nothing wrong with using bleached flour; it could make the texture of your muffins a little lighter, actually. I opt for the unbleached version simply because it contains less toxic chemicals and therefore should be better for our bodies.
- Super sweet muffins tend to overwhelm my tastebuds, so I use only 1/3 cup of sugar in this recipe. If you yearn for extra sweetness, you might want to add another 1/4 cup of sugar. Using more sugar than that, however, might make your pina colada muffins end up being cloyingly sweet. Keep in mind that these muffins also have pineapple in them. On the other hand, if you're trying to curb your sugar consumption, use just 1/4 cup of sugar in the entire batter.
- The aromas of rum and coconut beautifully commingle with each other in these muffins. If you favor one aroma more than the other, you can adjust the ratio between the rum and coconut extracts. For example, to make the rum flavor become more pronounced, use 3/4 teaspoon of rum extract and only 1/4 teaspoon of coconut extract.
- To give these pina colada goodies a little more texture and coconut flavor, add a few tablespoons of coconut flakes to your muffin batter.
- Don't be afraid to throw in some chopped nuts. True, the pina colada cocktail contains no nuts in it, but so what? You're not making a drink. Go as nutty as you'd like!
How to Make Pina Colada Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Put flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir together well with a whisk to distribute the baking powder evenly throughout the batter. This will give all your muffins a good rise and lovely texture.
- Place egg white, milk, rum extract and coconut extract in a separate bowl.
- Whisk together until frothy.
- Add canola or vegetable oil to the egg mixture and stir together.
- Make a little well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the egg mixture into it. Add crushed pineapple. (Be sure to drain the crushed pineapple very well. Instead of making your muffins nicely moist, excess pineapple juice could render them awfully soggy.)
- Gently stir all the ingredients together until the batter is evenly moist but make sure you don't overmix. A good muffin batter shouldn't be perfectly smooth like a cupcake batter but a little clumpy. If you see some specks of unmixed flour in your batter, just leave them that way. Overmixing often results in very dense and dry muffins.
- Line your muffin tins with paper liners, or simply grease the inside of each muffin tin with vegetable oil or butter. Fill about 3/4 of each tin with the pina colada muffin batter.
- Bake your muffins in the preheated oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove your pina colada muffins from the tins and allow them to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. Enjoy!
Calorie and Nutrition Information
|Serving size: 1 muffin|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 6 g|
|Carbohydrates 30 g||10%|
|Sugar 15 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 120 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More Muffin Recipes and Baking Tips
© 2013 Om Paramapoonya