- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down French Toast- A Make Ahead Brunch Recipe
When guests are coming for the night, this dish will make your breakfast or brunch a breeze. The bread soaks overnight in the refrigerator, and bakes easily in the morning. I like to soak the bread in one 9x13 dish, and bake in my nice heavy Denby 9x13 casserole dish. Fresh pineapple is great, but this tastes equally as good with canned pineapple rings. When finished baking, just use a spatula to flip each serving upside down onto the plate. Don't forget to spoon some of the "syrup" that forms on the bottom of the dish over top. You will get rave reviews with this one!
- 1 loaf french or italian bread, unsliced
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half, or whatever you use in your coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can pineapple rings, drained, or fresh pineapple sliced into 8 rings
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- Begin preparation the night before serving. Slice ends of bread off, and discard. Cut loaf into 8 equal slices.
- In a big bowl, mix eggs, half and half, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon until combined.
- Take a 9x13 baking dish, and lay out the bread slices. Don't be afraid to squeeze slightly to fit.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Wait a few minutes, then flip the bread slices to ensure the egg mixture get soaked in. There may be some egg mixture at the bottom of the dish, but this will absorb overnight.
- Cover, and put in refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350F.
- If you have another 9x13 pan, then use it. Otherwise carefully remove the soaked bread to a bowl temporarily, and wipe the pan clean.
- Add butter and brown sugar to empty 9x13 pan, and put in oven 5 minutes until butter is melted.
- Remove pan from oven, spread out pineapple, then cover with soaked bread.
- Bake another 40 minutes or so, until top is browning slightly.
- Remove from oven, and let sit a couple minutes. Serve by flipping individual pieces upside down onto each plate.
- Christmas Bacon- a Sweet and Spicy Treat
This bacon is an excellent accompaniment to this french toast recipe. Don't just wait 'til Christmas to give it a try!
- Coffee House Lingo. My first visit to Starbucks!
You can't have brunch without coffee. Do you know how to order a beverage at Starbucks? It's harder than you think!!
- Best Banana Muffin Recipe
Another brunch standby are banana muffins. Give this one a try for success every time.
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Maybe these pumpkin muffins would make an easy breakfast or snack when the guests are over. Muffins go well with any brunch menu!