- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Pizza Style Hamburg Bun
Cooking for One - Anytime Meal
The key ingredients here are basically a hamburger bun (always the high quality fancy smanshy ones), margarine, tomato sauce and enough cheese to cover both halves of the bun and the rest is all up to you. At some point after buying hamburger buns, I take some of them and put them in freezer bags for just this purpose. You only need to thaw one for maybe 15-20 seconds in the microwave to have the base for your speedy creation. I also have a covered tub of tomato sauce in the fridge waiting to be spooned on this creation along with a tub of margarine and a packaged slab of cheese. If you have to you can use processed cheese (which really isn't cheese) but be prepared to use two slice per bun half so you now have an idea how thick you want to slice the real cheese.
The time of day and what you feel like more or less determines what you end up with in this fun meal which is a good choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner or an evening snack.
The stuff you need
- 1 non-stick 8" cake pan
- 1 Hamburger bun, whole wheat in this case
- Cheese, enough to cover both halves
- 4 tbsp Tomato Sauce, 2 per bun half
- Margarine, to "butter" the bun halves
- A bunch of stuff, that you like
Another tough one here
- Butter the bun halves and place them in the cake pan. Meanwhile turn the oven broiler on.
- Spoon the tomato sauce on to each buttered bun half.
- Cover the sauce with ingredients of your choice. In this case we used sliced mushrooms, green pepper and forgot the ham. Slice everything as thinly as you can since there isn't a lot of time spent in the oven.
- Top with the cheese which you can just slice or use a coarse cheese grater to cover everything up. In this case, we topped it off with Light cream cheese. You just need to spread that out with a knife after it is cooked.
- Put the pan under the broiler for 7 minutes or so until the cheese is a nice golden brown colour. Try to avoid burning the cheese so use a timer here.
- If you prefer a crispier crust bake them for under 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. And if you are extra hungry just double the recipe in a larger pan.
The world is your stage here so use some imagination and go crazy.
As a breakfast meal of side dish you could use crisp bacon done in the microwave (we'll write a hub on that the next time we make bacon) and even add some chunks of pineapple with green onions perhaps. Mixing sweet and sour together is an old trick that those high maintenance TV chefs all use.
As a lunch or dinner or even snack meal, you can use pepperoni slices, banana slices (why not?), peanut butter, honey, nutella, garlic powder, red onions, grape tomatoes (maybe cut those in half) or just about anything you think that suits your palette.
In fact, let's have some fun here and you use the comments section below and share your ideas as to what will work for you. Just try and work with stuff that you have around the house so we stay within the basic guidelines of these recipes. There are no rules just a lot of good old ordinary common sense.