- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Plum Dumplings Recipe
This recipe is finger licking good. It does take about 2 hours to prepare, but the effort is worthwhile.
Originally, the recipe is Hungarian but it has spread to many other European countries over the years. May be because of globalization, may be because it's so tasty :)
The dumplings are sweet, but they can just as well be served for dinner or lunch. If you have kids, I guarantee that they'll love them and ask for seconds ;)
- 3 potatoes, boiled
- 2 tablespoons oil (preferably, olive oil)
- 1 egg, raw
- 3.5 oz flour
- 12 small plums
- 5 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil OR butter
How to prepare the plum dumplings
- First, boil the potatoes in their skin. This will take about an hour. After they're boiled, peel them gently and mash them in a big bowl.
- Before preparing everything else, place a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to boil. You're going to need it later.
- Now, add the rest of the ingredients: the flour, the 2 tablespoons of oil, the egg and just a pinch of salt. Mix everything well until you obtain your dough.
- With your hands, on a floured surface (like your kitchen table, for instance), roll out the dough until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Like this:
5. Now all you need to do is cut the roll of dough into 12 pieces and form the dumplings by placing a plum in the center of each piece of dough and fold and roll it in your hands until all edges are sealed.
6. Place the dumplings into the boiling water and let them boil for about 15-20 minutes each.
7. Now, for the last touch: in a pan, heat up either a tablespoon or butter or a tablespoon of oil and then add the breadcrumbs. They are done when they change color and become dark brown.
8. Add some sugar into the bread crumbs mix and roll the boiled dumplings into the bread crumbs.
This is it! You can serve the plum dumplings either hot or cold, they're delicious either way.
One dumpling has about 100 calories. The rest of the nutritional values are calculated per 100 grams.
|Serving size: 12 dumplings|
|Calories from Fat||225|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 25 g||38%|
|Carbohydrates 230 g||77%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|