Plum sauce is super for many things-with cold meat, as a baste mixed with soy sauce for barbecuing, in sandwiches with cheese or cold meat or poultry, as a zest to casseroles. It is also ideal to spread over lamb when roasting as it adds colour as well as a delicious flavour.
- 1 Kg Dark Plums
- 500 G Onions
- 500 G Raisins
- 6 Fresh Chillies
- 2-3 Cm Piece Root Ginger
- 10 G Mixed Whole Spice
- 1.2 Litres Malt Vinegar
- 15 G Salt
- 1 Kg Raw Sugar
- Halve and stone plums.
- Roughly chop onions and put both in a large bowl.
- Tie the split chillies, ginger and whole spice in a muslin bag and add to the plums and onions.
- Add raisins and vinegar.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and cook on HIGH until fruit and vegetables are tender stirring twice.
- Discard the bag of spices.
- Blend fruit mixture in a blender or food processor and return to the bowl.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and cook on MEDIUM- HIGH for approximately 1 hour, stirring every 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved, then every 10 to 15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.