- Food and Cooking
Polish Potato Pancakes
This, again, is a favorite food of mine (and that of my family). It is a total comfort food. Not at all healthy, but still quite enjoyable.
You can make this as a main dish or serve it as a side dish with a roast. It is enjoyable both ways.
Toppings are very versatile. It can be topped with sour cream or cottage cheese (divine!). Kids may like it with applesauce or other fruit toppings (peaches, fruit cocktail, berries, etc...). A blackberry sauce makes it totally amazing! If you are picky, ketchup or mustard works as well.
- 2 large potatoes, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 TBSP flour
- pinch salt
- Shred two potatoes with a mandolin or in a chopper.
- Add beaten egg, flour, and salt. Mix together.
- Heat oil in frying pan til hot.
- Drop spoonful of potato mixture into oil and flatten with a spatula.
- Cook until crispy on bottom. Flip with spatula to other side. Fry until crispy.
- Remove from oil with slotted spatula. Repeat Steps 4 through 6 with the rest of the mixture.
- Serve with cottage cheese, sour cream, applesauce, berries, or ketchup or mustard.