Pork Chops and Hash Brown Bake
Cheddar Makes It Better!
One of my favorites!!
This is one of the best food combinations that I have ever found and one the best recipes I have ever tried for my family. The flavors go together just perfect. The secret, I have found to cooking great pork chops. In this recipe is how to brown them perfectly before baking them. Browning the pork chops in a seasoned iron skillet or a non-stick pan on the stove is a great way to make sure that they have their own unique flavor before adding them to the potatoes. The combination of the celery soup, sour cream and milk with the potatoes, adds a creamy flavor. You could always use liquid smoke on the pork chops if you are not able to grill them outside.
This is one of those recipes that is easy to make, only has a few ingredients as well. Most of the ingredients you probably will have on hand. If not, after you make it the first time, you will probably then keep everything on hand to make this dish really quickly. Your family will start requesting that you make this recipe all the time!
For the men out there that love meat and potatoes, this is both in one pan. You just can't get any better or any easier for that matter!! This is also a good dish to make if you are having last minute company. You can also make this the day before (say on a Saturday), and store it over night and then warm it up for Sunday dinner whether at church or with your family and friends. Be sure and try this recipe if you are a fan of pork chops.
I prefer to purchase the boneless, skinless pork chops but, you can certainly use the pork chops with the bone in. It is strictly your preference. The pork chops with the "bone in," have a lot more flavor, but, once again, it is whatever you and your family like. It seems to me that the boneless, skinless pork chops are easier to deal with.
Have you tried it?
Have you tried Pork Chops and Hash Brown Bake?
- 6 pork chops
- Approx. 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- 1 can celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (24oz.) package frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can french's fried onions, small container
- The pork chops will need to be breaded before they are fried. The easiest way to coat the pork chops is to put some pepper and flour on them. (I wouldn't use salt at this point because, you are about to sprinkle the pork chops with season salt and this is salty as well).
- Heat up the skillet with the oil. After the oil is heated up just a little. I like to pull out the big non-stick skillet and brown the pork chops in the vegetable oil. If needed, you may cook the all pork chops at one time, (if you have a skillet large enough), or you can cook a few at a time, or one at a time. Sprinkle the pork chops with the season salt and set them to the side. Combine the soup, milk, sour cream, pepper and 1 teaspoon and season salt. Mix until this is stirred up very well.
- Now it is time to add the potatoes. Just stir in the hash brown potatoes that have been thawed. The mixture of potatoes, cheese and onions is so much easier at this point in the recipe, if you have the potatoes thawed out. Also, at this time add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of the French's fried onions.
- Spoon this mixture into a greased 9" x 13" pan. Place the browned pork chops on top of the potato mixture. Bake the casserole in the oven covered with foil for 40 minutes. Then, top with the rest of the cheese and the onions. After the casserole has cooked for 40 minutes, cook for an additional five minutes to melt the cheese.
- I love the French's fried onions and I love cheese. I add additional cheese when I am mixing up my potatoes as well as add additional onions. You can always just put the recommended amount but, if you like it cheesy, add additional cheese
- Leaving out the French's fried onions is always a possibility as well. I usually compromise when I making this recipe. If I am serving this to someone that I know doesn't like onions, I will just cook 1/2 of the casserole with the onions and 1/2 of it without the onions. This way guests will be able to try your casserole even if they don't like onions.
Ingredients in Pork Chops & Hash Brown Bake
french's fried onions
skillet for chops & casserole dish
Hash Browns Are Delicious!
Make it your favorite
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. I love to cook and I enjoy great tasting flavors and trying different flavor combinations. This is a very easy recipe to make and I fix it often to share with friends and family.
Maybe this will become that favorite recipe of yours that you reach for often.
Another wonderful thing to mention with this recipe is that it doesn't cost too much to make. The most expensive ingredients are the hash browns and pork chops. I can usually find the hash browns on sale or buy one get one free and the same thing goes for the pork chops. One other tip worth mentioning is that it is good to take to lunch the next day. When the flavors have a chance to blend this combination of ingredients only gets better and better.
I never skimp out on the cheese. I have found that whether you buy the brand name of potatoes you buy or even the off brand, it tastes the same.
Stainless Steel Skillet Set
Yummy Pork Chops
Food and Recipe Articles
- Slow Simmered Italian Meatballs With Gravy
This article has a full recipe for Italian meatball with gravy. Pictures, videos, commentary , ingredients and cooking time are featured in this hub along with other facts and information.
- Biscuit and Chocolate Gravy Recipe
This is truly a "southern dish" and all I can think about when I hear the word chocolate gravy is yummy!! Pictures, commentary and videos are featured in this hub.
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Pesto
This is a great sounding sauce recipe but, just wait until you taste it. Ingredients, the how to and some helpful hints are located in this hub. Pictures, a quiz and poll can also be found here.
- South of the Border Chicken Soup
With all the rainy weather that we have had lately a hearty soup is just what the doctor ordered. The name of the recipe says it all. This soup will satisfy your south of the border craving.
- Easy BBQ Pork Sandwiches
This is a great recipe that is great and easy to fix. Just throw the ingredients into the crockpot to let the meat get good and tender. There's commentary, pictures and the how to, is found here.
Southern Style Pork Chops
How To Cook Pork Chops
|Serving size: 1 oz.|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 29 mg||10%|
|Sodium 174 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2013 Buster Johnson