- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How To Prepare Pork Roast with Bacon, Mushroom Gravy
I have tried a few pork roast recipes, but nothing compares to this one.
It was originally an Emeril Lagasse recipe, but I made a few tweaks.
It is a family favorite!
- 3 pound boneless pork loin roast
- 1 tablespoon seasoning of your choice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces thick cut bacon, diced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 quart canned beef broth, low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons green onion tops, sliced
- Season the roast with most of the seasoning and all salt and pepper and rub into meat.
- Heat a cast iron pot and add bacon when hot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels and set aside.
- Add the roast to the pan and increase heat to high.
- Cook until all sides are brown, around 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer roast to dish and set aside.
- Add flour to the pan and cook, stirring constantly until a roux the color of milk chocolate is formed, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper and cook, stirring until vegetables have wilted, 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining seasoning and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and stir for four minutes.
- Add beef broth and Worcestershire and bring to a boil.
- Return the roast to the pot and cover the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn the roast over, cover pan and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the roast from the pan and transfer to a dish.
- Cover loosely with tin foil to keep warm.
- Add green onion tops to the sauce and cook for 10-15 minutes, uncovered, until sauce is thick.
- Stir crispy bacon into the sauce, slice the roast and serve.
- Ladle sauce over the roast and a bed of rice!
My family and I love this pork roast recipe! As a family of four, we eat until we are full and we still have leftovers for days!
The gravy is so savory and tasty, you will want to put it on everything. The pork roast is tender and juicy.
Serve it over a bed of rice with a side of green beans. It is so good!
To make the green bean side dish: add a can of green beans, a few tablespoons of butter, diced onions and few strips of bacon crumbled into a saucepan with enough water to cover the beans. Simmer on low for an hour. What a wonderful combination!
Even the leftovers taste good!