- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Pork and Taro in Sour Soup
During rainy days, it's much better if we will have something in the table that has soup to keep us warm. Also, it's a delight if there are pieces of meat that will keep us chewing and vegetables to supply our daily needs of nutrition.
This main course recipe features pork as the main ingredients, plus taro to add thickness to the soup and other vegetables to add flavor and nutrition. The soup is sour coming from the crushed tamarind.
Here in the Philippines we used to call this "Sinigang na Baboy".
How to Make the Soup Sour?
This recipe is best when the soup is sour. Here in the Philippines,the ingredients that we use in making the sour with sour kicks. We use citrus fruits, vinegar and many more. But, the main ingredient that we use are the unripe tamarinds. Traditionally, the tamarind is boiled into tea cup of water and when soft, crushed and stained.
Now, to the modern times, there are now granulated packs that features tamarind. When added to the dish, the granules will add sourness to the soup.
For this recipe, we will need 7 pieces of medium-sized tamarind or 1 pack of the tamarind mixes.
Boil the 7 pieces of tamarind into 1cup of water, crush them when they soft and strain. Set aside the liquid.
- 1 kilo pork - chopped into desired sizes
- 1 bundle of water spinach - bottom parts removed and chopped
- 5 pieces winged beans - bottom and top removed and chopped
- 3 pieces taro - peeled and chopped
- 4 pieces tomatoes – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – finely minced
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 pieces siling haba or green chilies
- 1 pack sinigang mix or 5 unripe tamarind
- 10-12 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pork Steak Recipe
- How to Cook Pork Steak
Another pork recipe and this time features a sauce that is a combination of sour, sweet and salty. This is anothe must-try recipe.
- In a pan, put the pork meat, garlic, onions and ut into boil for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sour liquid and boil.
- Add the taro and boil for 5 minutes. You will notice that the soup thickens.
- Add the winged beans and green chilies. Boil for 1 minute.
- Add the water spinach until cooked.
- Serve and enjoy.