- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Portobello Mushroom Burgers
These vegetarian mushroom burgers are tasty and easy to make. They are highly customizable. You can change toppings and make a variety of different burgers that will satisfy most any taste. They go great on a traditional hamburger bun, or a multi-grain bun if you are looking for a more health conscious option. These baked portobello mushrooms are just as delicious served without the bread, if you wish to leave out the bun.
- 4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1-2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1.5-2 cups Fresh Spinach
- 1/3 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup Ricotta Cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat rounded end of portobello mushrooms with oil oil. Place them oiled side down on a baking sheet.
- To wilt spinach first rinse it in cold water, then heat in a large pan over medium-high heat. It only takes a few moments to wilt the spinach. Keep stirring it or shaking the pan until it's finished.
- Chop wilted spinach. Mix with the shredded cheddar cheese, and ricotta cheese. Spoon mixture onto the mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of salt and garlic powder. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
Feel free to substitute the shredded cheddar cheese for anything you like. I've tried it with provolone and it turned out great. Cottage cheese can also replace the ricotta if that's what you have handy. Many spices and herbs could be substituted for the salt and garlic powder.