- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Potato Pudding Recipe
Potatoes are mainstream
Here in the Philippines, potatoes are one of the most sought-after vegetables. They are included in different Pinoy dishes like Nilaga, Caldereta and many more.
Me, I am also a fan of this vegetable. I love the mashy, spongy and yam-like texture. In KFC, I never fail to order mash potato.
However, my nieces, the picky-eater kids, hate them. They are missing the nutritional benefits of this fantastic root crop. That's why I came into idea of creating a dessert. Let me say, I am successful in deceiving them.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 5 pieces of potatoes can serve 6 to 7 people
Quick fun facts about potatoes
- Potatoes are rich in Vitamin A and D. They also have phytochemicals and bacteria-fighting enzymes that will surely benefit people. They are also rich in fiber that helps in digestion.
- Potatoes, like all other root crops has this chemical that can harm humans. They use their natural enzymes to protect themselves from fungi, parasites and sickness. When cooked, this chemical will transform into safe one. So, nothing to worry.
- The root crop was discovered in 1537 by an Spanish conquistador and brought it in New York.
- Colors of potato skin varies from places. There are actually potatoes that are red and violet in color.
- Potato chips are discovered by accident. The original version of the dish was served thick and as an appetizer. One time, an unhappy customer at Moon's Lake House complained with the floppy dish. He was then served with a newly cooked one, but still complained. The chef then tried to annoy the customer by slicing the potatoes in thin manner and serving it with extra salt. The result was a happy customer that resulted in a more popular restaurant.
- French fries was introduced in 1801-1809 to serve Thomas Jefferson during his presidency.
- Potatoes were once valued like gold today. In 1897, the Alaska priced potatoes like jewels, due to its nutritional value and scarce supply.
- 5 pieces potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 spoon flour
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- Boil the potato in cup water until cooked.
- Mash it. It is advised that you leave some small bit. This will create a chewing texture.
- Add butter, egg, sugar and mix well.
- Grease a pan and add the mixture.
- Steam for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.