- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Potato Cutlets or Aloo Tikki
Potato cutlets is a mouth watering savory snack and appetizer of Indo-Pak origin. It is very easy to make, low on budget and perfect for lunch box/ picnics.
- 1/2 kg potatoes
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1level tsp red chilly powder
- 1/4 level tsp turmeric powder
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 level tsp black pepper powder
- 20 leaves with stem finely chopped fresh coriander, can be replaced with cilantro leaves or thyme or parsley
- 1 medium size onion, spring onion can be used instead
- 1 heaped tbsp barberry (zirishk), also known as European barberry
- 1 whole beaten egg, to fry
- 1 cup bread crumbs, to fry
- 1/2 cup oil, to fry
- Potato cutlets are mildly spicy, serve with sweet and sour sauces like tamarind sauce or tomato sauce (ketchup)
- Paratha, roti and pita bread could be add on.
- Egg fried rice and plain white rice goes well with it.
- Take half kg potatoes and wash them thoroughly with cold water. Let it dry, peel potatoes with a peeler or knife and cut them into quarters.
- Place peeled and cut potatoes in a large saucepan, fill with water and place over high heat. Bring it to boil, cook for at least 30 min or potatoes are soft and fork-tender. Drain and cool the soft potatoes.
3. Place potatoes in a large bowl and mash with the help of a potato ricer or a potato masher (tools which can easily be found in the kitchen gadget section of super stores). If you do not have either of the aforementioned tools, mash the potatoes with a large fork until there are no lumps.
4. After you mash the potatoes add to it finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, green chillies, salt, red chilly powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and barberry. Mash/knead them all together again. Place 2 heaped tbsp. of the potato mash in the centre of your palm, shape it round and flat like a cookie about 1/2 inch thick and 2-3 inches in diameter. Set aside the cutlets for at least 20 minutes.
5. Put a medium-sized non stick frying pan on the stove, add some oil to the pan, let the oil warm a bit. Beat one whole egg in a bowl, dip each cutlet in egg; coat the cutlets in egg properly and fry in vegetable oil till golden brown (50 sec each side). Turn sides only once each side, be careful while turning sides.
6. Drain on absorbent paper and the cutlets are ready to be served hot.
Potatoes boiled without skin and salt
|Serving size: 100 g|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 3 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Does and do not's
- Peeled potatoes boil quicker but u can boil them unpeeled and peel later.
- Do not add salt to water while boiling.
- Do not mash hot potatoes as it makes it soggy.
- Bread crumbs is optional, you can coat the shaped cutlets in egg then bread crumbs, repeat the coating process twice and then fry in oil.
- Always shallow fry on low heat and drain on absorbent paper.
- You may need to wet your palms while shaping cutlets to prevent potato mash from sticking.
If you do not like mashed potatoes then instead of mashing the quarters, just take a pan with little oil and add all the ingredients (both wet and dry) to the pan. Toss them all together making sure your potato quarters do not break.
Serve hot or cold as salad
Kitchen tools and gadgets
A potato ricer (also called a ricer) is a kitchen gadget used to mash potatoes or other food by forcing it through a sheet of stainless steel with small holes. Potato ricer looks like a garlic press but larger in size.
A potato masher is a stainless steel tool with upright handle, zig zag or flat at the end. It easily removes lumps from potato or other veggies.