- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Spicy Somali Fried Chicken Recipe
Another delicacy from the horn of africa; I bring you the sacred recipe of fried chicken (chuckle), but with a little somali flavour, or spice, rather. I'm not a particular fan of deep fried foods, but I had to make an exception this time around, and I'm sure you will too. :)
There aren't many differences with somali fried chicken when compared to american fried chicken or any other fried chicken for that matter, but you will find that there is something distinct and exotic about the way this chicken is fried.
Alright then, I shan't waste more time, on to the recipe:
- 1kg Chicken pieces, Skinned
- 1 or 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/3 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Cooking Oil
- 3/4 teaspoon MSG, (Optional, Do not include if allergic)
- In a bowl, mix the egg with the milk; set aside.
- In a container or Ziplock bag, combine the rest of the ingredients, cover and shake.
- Dip the chicken into the egg and milk mixture.
- Then, put into the flour; shaking to coat all the pieces. (Don't put more than 4 pieces in at a time.)
- Take each piece out making sure to shake off any extra flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan that has a lid; add the chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Chicken is cooked once the liquid runs clear.
- Remove with tongs and drain on paper towel
- Voila! Ready to serve.