- Food and Cooking»
- Food Safety
Preserved Green Peppers
- Green Peppers
- Wine Vinegar
- A Bowl
- A Cloth
- Glass or Stoneware Jars & Lids
- Coarsely chop fresh peppers
- Sprinkle in salt
- Soak them overnight in a bowl.
- Next day, spread the peppers on a cloth to drain.
- Fill either glass or stoneware jars with the peppers and cover them with wine vinegar.
- Ready to eat after one week. They will keep for several months. Serve with cold cuts, stews, etc.
Red bell peppers have nine times more carotene (like lycopenes) and twice as much vitamin C than green bell peppers.
Red bell peppers also have three times as much more vitamin C than an orange.
Red bell peppers are simply ripened green bell peppers.
Bell Peppers are native to Mexico, Central and South America- carried back to Spain in 1493 then migrated to other European and Eastern countries.