Provencale Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
Stuffed Cabbage Roll
Brief History of French Cuisine Provençale
Provençale is the French word for Provencal and the Provence region of southeastern France on the Mediterranean adjacent to Italy. Recipes from this region are very distinctive from the rest of French cuisine or French cooking. Very little milk is used in Provencal cooking. Goat cheeses are predominant. Garlic, olive oil and olives are plentiful.
Nearly 60 recipes French recipes can be found in Volume 1 of Recipes From Around The World. Over 500 tasty recipes from Germany, Greece, Ireland, France and Russia and combine that with Volume 2, it makes over 1000 recipes from around the world.
Plant your own cabbage
French Cuisine Provençale Stuffed Cabbage
8 large green cabbage leaves
5/8 cup smoked grated provolone cheese
1/2 cup water, broth or dry white wine
1 large peeled and chopped tomato
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Provençale Stuffing (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Prepare the Stuffing.
3. Steam cabbage leaves for about 4 minutes. Tip for removing the leaves without cracking them is to removed the core from the cabbage head and place the entire head in the steamer for a few minutes. This will help the leaves come off more easily.
4. Put about 3 to 3 1/2 tablespoons of stuffing at the base of each leaf and roll up the leaf.
5. Pour the water, wine or broth into a buttered baking dish, sprinkle tomato and caraway seeds into it.
6. Place the rolled cabbage leaves into the liquid so they can't roll open.
7. Sprinkle the cabbage rolls with a little salt and black pepper to suite taste.
8. Cover and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with provolone cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 4 Servings.
Cabbage Soup Diet
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large peeled and coarsely chopped tomato
3 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
2 teaspoons freshly chopped thyme
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Set aside peeled coarsely chopped tomato.
2. Heat skillet with oil to medium heat and sauté onion and garlic for about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato ingredients, parsley, basil, thyme, onions, garlic and seasonings.
4. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until wetness evaporates.
5. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
Stuffing is good for cabbage leave, tomatoes shells, zucchini or eggplant.
Yields: 1 cup or 4 Servings.
The copyright to this article is owned by Sandy Mertens (sandyspider). Content is original and may not be used without permission from Sandyspider. (S. Mertens)
Recipes From Around The World
You don't have to travel the world to get a taste of international cuisine. With Recipes From Around The World, you can open your mind and treat your taste buds to a world of fine cuisine-without leaving home!
In volume one of Recipes From Around The World you will find over 500 tasty recipes from Germany, Greece, Ireland, France and Russia. Volume 2 of Recipes From Around The World contains over 500 recipes from Australia, Africa the Middle East, the Philippines and the Caribbean. Your family and friends will love this selection of recipes which includes exotic dishes such as Caribbean Pork With Pineapple Salsa, Lebanese Baba Ghanoush, andFragrant Pork Adobo from the Philippines.
Impress your friends and family with a new recipe every night from around the world. Find 1000 different recipes here.
Need More Recipes
- Recipes, Reviews and Food Collection
Welcome to my foodography! This is my collection of recipes, restaurant reviews, gardening and the different types of food in general. This is also an interactive lens. Here you will find a a variety of recipe lenses.
- 100's of Barbecue Recipes
Here is a sample recipe from the BBQ e-book: Baby Back Ribs With Mustard Sauce 1/3 cup Brown sugar 1/4 cup Onion, finely chopped 1/4 cup Vinegar 1/4 cup Mustard 1/2 teaspoon Celery seed 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder Read more...
- Recipe Collection 1
6 recipes ebooks. "Slow Cooker Recipes", "Barbecue Recipes" "Cheesecake Recipes", "Chinese Recipes", "89 Coffee Recipes" and "101 Chicken Wing Recipes" Who can pass up such delicious food!
Some Vegetable and Cheese Hubs
- German Bavarian Herb Soup
This is a German recipe. Bitter herbs are traditionally eaten at Easter in Christian countries as a sign of penitence. The German tradition is to serve Bavarian soup on Easter Thursday, known as Maundy...
- Georgian Cheese Pastries
Ingredients for Pastry: 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup plus 2 T unsalted, not melted butter 1/4 cup cold water Ingredients for Cheese...
- Bean and Onion Salad with Health Benefits
Ingredients: 1/4 cup apple juice 1/2 medium size onion, chopped 1 red onion, sliced 2 medium size carrots, chopped 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/3 cup vinegar 1/2 cup water 1 T sugar ...
- Cheddar and Ham Cheesecake
Often when you think of cheesecake, you think of dessert. There is nothing better than a creamy smooth rich Cherry Cheesecake. But what you might not know is cheesecake can be for breakfast too. OK, I...
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
Ingredients: 6 large bell peppers (green, red or yellow) 1 lb ground beef 1 small onion, finely diced 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon sage 1/2...
- Potato Casseroles
I love to cook. I am one of those cooks who often create her own recipe without even writing it down. This irritates people who would like a copy of one of my homemade recipes. Then I have to think the...
© 2010 Sandy Mertens