- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Puerto Rican Pasteles Recipe
Puerto Rico has a big variety of food; good, tasty and nutritious! This characteristic comes from our history mix with the Taino Indians, Europeans, Africans and Americans. This Hub is to share our way of preparing one of our favorite dishes.
Pasteles make a great lunch or dinner any time of the year. The following saying is very true: “Christmas in Puerto Rico without pasteles is not Christmas”. It takes a lot of work, reason enough to prepare many of them and you may keep them in your freezer. .Preparing pasteles, in most cases, is a family sharing activity; then for all to eat and enjoy.
Pastel is also known as a cake but this pastel is totally different...this one is a real Puerto Rican Pastel recipe. I will share the common way to prepare the Puerto Rican Pastel. Hope you understand and start yours.
- Prep time: 3 hours
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 4 hours
- Yields: Many
Pasteles are made in many different ways, as all the recipes. I believe that you can make your changes and adapt any recipe. Pasteles are also made by any combination, the most frequent are:
- Green banana with pork
- Yucca (taro) with pork
- Green banana with chicken
- Yucca with chicken
- Vegetarian without meat
- 7 pounds of Yucca (taro)
- 1 pound pumpkin
- 12 green bananas
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- Annato oil
- Banana leaves
- In the food processor grind the mixture of taro, pumpkin and bananas, with the aid of warm milk, but until smooth and creamy consistency.
- Give color with annatto oil
- Season with salt and pepper.
- 1/8 pound of chopped bacon
- 3/4 pound of chopped cooked ham
- annatto oil
- 2 pounds lean minced pork
- 8 chopped sweet peppers
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green peppers chopped
- Cilantro minced
- 4 minced oregano leaves
- 8 chopped oregano leaves (cilantro)
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 12 stuffed olives chopped in half
- 3 tbsp capers
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 small can chopped pimentos
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- In a hot pot or pan, toss while cooking the bacon until golden.
- Add the ham and toss while cooking a few minutes.
- Add raisins, annatto oil and toss while cooking.
- Add the meat until cooked.
- Add onions, sweet peppers, garlic, peppers, cilantro, oregano and toss while cooking until shiny.
- Add tomatoes, olives, capers and raisins and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients.
Examples of MountingClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Place a square of banana leaf on plastic wrap.
- Spread sheet with oil.
- Put three tablespoons of dough.
- Flatten and place one to two tablespoons of filling in banana leaf.
- Seal as in a plastic wrap package.
- Boil in water with a little salt for 40 minutes.
- Chill and cut the paper to serve.
- In the traditional form the role of plastic wrap is replaced by the pastel role wrap.
- They are prepared in pairs and tied as one package.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a lasagna pan.
- Line the bottom and sides with cushioned banana leaves
- Place half of the dough on the leaves and then add filling.
- Finish with the remaining dough and cover with more banana leaves.
- Place in center of oven and bake for one hour or until dough is firm.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving, cut into squares like a pastry.
Puerto Rican Pasteles Ingredients
Have you used these ingredients?
Will you rate this dish?
Buen Provecho! Enjoy Your Meal! Bon Appetit!
Once you know the procedure it is fun to prepare pasteles. They are very nutritious as you can see by the ingredients. You may add rice or your favorite side dish; it can be eaten with almost anything. If for any reason you cannot make them, get them; you may find a dozen with a low cost from 15$ to 20$, I think they are worth the price. This is all until now, it will be nice to share more of our favorite "Puerto Rican Cuisines".
Blessings to all!
© Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill
© 2013 Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill