- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Pumpkin Pie Filling (from scratch)
How's it taste?
- 1 pie pumpkin
- A knife
- A spoon
- A backing sheet or microwave safe dish
- A blender/food processor
- A few cups water
- An air tight storage container
A little extra effort can go a long way in making your pumpkin pie's extra special. This pureed pumpkin can be used for more than just pie though. Soup, curry, or homemade pumpkin syrup are just some of pumpkins delicious uses!
- Remove the stem of your pumpkin and cut it in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy guts of the pumpkin. (grapefruit spoons work great for this) Keep the seeds if you'd like to roast them, otherwise discard everything you remove.
- Cook the pumpkin. -Using the oven place your pumpkin halves cut-side down on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for about an hour. -Using the microwave place pumpkin halves in a rimmed dish cut side up with a quarter cup of water at the bottom of the dish NOT inside the pumpkin and cook at 5 minute intervals between 10 and 15 minutes.
- Once cooked scrape out the now soft pumpkin and discard the skin. It should be soft enough to scrape out with a spoon.
- Place the cooked pumpkin into a blender or food processor and blend until the pumpkin has a nice smooth consistency. If your pumpkin seems really dry you can add a small amount of water, 1/8 cup or so, at this time to help it reach the desired consistency.
- Store your pumpkin in an airtight container and freeze until you are ready to use it or use it right away!