- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffin Recipe
Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffin Recipe
Using sauerkraut keeps the muffins moist and in combination with the other ingredients, you don't taste sauerkraut at all. This is a great way to combine a breakfast treat with a daily dose of vegetables!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe I found on about.com. One option for this Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffin recipe is to add 1 cup of chocolate chips resulting in Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins!
Recipe for Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins
Makes 8 jumbo or 12 regular muffins though I actually had 18 regular muffins from this recipe
**Please see the malamute culinary tip below on how I ended up with only 7 muffins!
- 2 large eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- 3/4 cup milk (I used nonfat)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (I used fresh)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 14-ounce can sauerkraut (rinsed, drained, squeezed dry)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups flour (I used unbleached)
- 1 cup raisins (I used golden)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips if desired (I left out)
- Coarse sugar (I left out)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pans with vegetable or olive oil spray and set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, oil, pumpkin, sugar, sauerkraut, spices and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add raisins, pecans and chocolate chips if using to wet ingredients.
- Stir in flour mixture but only stir to combine. Don't over stir.
- Drop by spoonfuls into muffin tins.
- *** I did not do this step - Bake 10 minutes for jumbo muffins or 8 minutes for regular muffins. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake an additional 10 minutes for jumbo and 8 minutes for regular.
- In all, bake jumbo muffins for about 20 minutes total and regular for about 16 minutes total though check with a toothpick to make sure the centers are done before removing from oven. I actually had to bake mine 5 extra minutes for regular sized muffins.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Halloween and Holiday Tips for Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins
- Use orange coarse sugar as a topping to sprinkle on muffins halfway through baking time
- Use white coarse sugar for an elegant look
- Try another color of coarse sugar for other occasions
How to Use Fresh Pumpkin versus Canned Pumpkin In Recipes
When I use fresh pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin, I buy the smaller pie pumpkins. You can find these at most grocery stores and are identifiable by their deeper orange color. They weigh roughly between 2 and 4 pounds usually.
There are several ways to cook pumpkin but the most common are baking and boiling or stewing. Keep in mind that usually fresh cooked pumpkin does not have the same deep color as canned pumpkin but it is just as good.
Use fresh pumpkin in pies instead of canned or in cookies, cakes and muffins. It also makes a natural thickener when added to soups.
How To Bake a Pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees
- Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the membranes and seeds. The seeds can be washed and dried, salted and roasted in the oven for delicious pumpkin seeds
- Spray a cookie sheet or shallow baking dish with vegetable spray and place pumpkin halves cut sides down on dish or sheet
- Or line cookie sheet or baking pan with foil, spray with vegetable spray and place halves cut side down
- Or wrap each half of pumpkin in foil and place both on cookie sheet or inside baking dish (to prevent pumpkin leaks onto the oven)
- Bake until soft when touched
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and then scoop out the pumpkin
- Smash to desired consistency or blend in food processor or blender
- Use same amounts called for in recipes requiring canned pumpkin
How to Cook a Pumpkin on the Stovetop
- Cut pumpkin in half and then remove the membranes and seeds. Again, you can wash, dry and bake the pumpkin seeds for a great snack or addition to other recipes
- Slice pumpkin into narrow slices much like watermelon or cantaloupe and peel outer rind off pumpkin
- Cut the peeled pumpkin slices into small chunks
- Cover just barely with water (some people also add a bit of apple juice) and cook at a low simmer on the stovetop. Cook time will vary depending on how much pumpkin you have, how big the pan is and how fast the cook time. Don't overcook and test every so often for softness
- When the pumpkin is soft but not mushy, remove from the stove and pour through a sieve. Save the juice/water from the cooked pumpkin and add that to soup as a stock or freeze for later use
- Allow the pumpkin to drain thoroughly and cool completely
- Use a potato masher to mash the pumpkin to the desired consistency and use cup for cup in recipes calling for canned pumpkin
- Or blend in food processor or blender to desired consistency
Tips and Suggestions for Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffin Recipe
- Use buttermilk instead of regular milk but adjust baking powder and add appropriate amount of baking soda
- Use walnuts instead of pecans
- Substitute hazelnuts for pecans
- Use white chocolate instead of regular chocolate chips
- Substitute dried cranberries for the raisins
- Use brown sugar instead of white sugar
- Substitute applesauce for all or part of the oil
- Use fresh sauerkraut from the deli case (I used fresh instead of canned)
- These keep well for several days covered or in a storage bag
- Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins freeze wonderfully
Griffin's The Malamute's Culinary Tip
It seems my 'little' malamute Griffin has a strong yen for my Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffin Recipe.
Last night, while I was draining the pumpkin in a strainer, he managed to get up on the counter and eat roughly at least half of my fresh cooked pumpkin. I had to start over and had just enough to make my Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins today!
If that were not enough, fresh out of the oven and cooling on the rack, my 'little pumpkin' Griffin just ate 11 Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS I did not add the chocolate chips to this recipe or I would have been on an emergency run to the vet! Bob is on probation in the dog watching department! (just kidding)
If there is a problem with this latest development, I will be back to write a note on what can happen if your dog eats 11 Pumpkin Sauerkraut Muffins. I am only glad that I had 6 other muffins cooling on a different rack before he discovered those.
I could swear he was licking his chops though!
Heart Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
How to Make Fresh Pumpkin
Cooking for Kids - Pumpkin Muffins
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Thanksgiving Recipe for Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread with a Secret Ingredient!
Thanksgiving cooking is coming! Can you smell the spices? The spicy smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and pumpkin takes me back to my aunts' kitchen! I can hear the clunk of the wooden spoon and see the big...
- Not Your Momma's Pumpkin Recipes
There's more to pumpkin, that quintessentially New England winter squash, than pumpkin pie and toasted seeds. Get some creative ideas for bringing pumpking from the garden and onto your fall menu.
- Thanksgiving In Canada - As Canadian as Pumpkin Pie
thanksgiving, thanksgiving dinner, thanksgiving recipes, pumpkin recipes,
- Halloween Pumpkin Recipes
Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, ...
- classic pumpkin recipes
classic pumpkin recipes for pies and breads
- Easy Pumpkin Recipes
All About Cooking Pumpkins - Everything you ever wanted to know about cooking pumpkins. Learn how to cook a pumpkin, prepare pumpkin puree, and how to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. Recipes for pumpkin...
- Delicious Pumpkin Recipes -Pumpkins, Not Just For C...
The carving of pumpkins started in Ireland. The original Jack O'Lanterns were hollowed out turnips and set out on All Hallows Eve in memory of loved ones and to ward off evil spirits. When the Irish...
- Pumpkin Recipes for Thanksgiving
Ingredients: 4 eggs 1 2/3 cups sugar 1 cup vegetable oil 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking...
- More Simple Pumpkin Recipes
Here are more tasty pumpkin recipes for you to enjoy this season. You can also check out Pumpkin Recipes: Easy & Yummy, to add to your pumpkin recipe collection. Pumpkin seeds are high in fiber and flavor! ...
- Pumpkins - History and Lore
In this season of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Fall harvests the pumpkin plays a major role, both as a decoration, Jack-O-Lanterns and center pieces, as well as food with pumpkin pie being the most famous. ...
- Moist Pumpkin Loaf
Moist pumpkin loaf combines the flavor of pumpkin with spices for a delicious loaf. Pumpkin loaf can be served as is or iced with butter or cream cheese icing.
- Pumpkin Recipes: Easy & Yummy
Along with autumn comes tons of great, seasonal foods. I'm always excited to take advantage of the great Fall foods like pumpkins, squashes, and apples. They taste best when they are in season and fresh. ...