Pumpkin and Zucchini Fettuccine Ribbons with Tomato Sauce
Rate this recipe
If you're watching your carbs, looking for a lighter alternative to traditional pasta, or just want to try something different, this may be the dish you are looking for!
- 1 large butternut pumpkin, skin removed
- 4 zucchini, skin removed
- 1x 425g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely diced
- 1 handful black spanish olives, pits removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to season
- With a potato peeler, peel pumpkin and zucchini in long ribbons and parboil in a large pot of water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare sauce, fry onion and garlic in a large saucepan until soft. Add basil and oregano and stir to combine then add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and olive oil. Stir to combine and allow to simmer for 20 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate fry pan, add a small amount of olive oil then add pumpkin and zucchini ribbons. Toss the pan to coat them with the oil and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Stir olives and parsley through the sauce, then add a small amount of sauce to the pumpkin and zucchini ribbons, tossing to combine.
- Using tongs, place pumpkin and zucchini ribbons into serving bowls, then top with remaining sauce. Garnish with fresh basil leaves or shaved parmesan cheese. Serve hot.