- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Quick & Easy Fish Pie Recipe
This fish pie recipe is written to serve two, so just double it for four!
- Two frozen fish portions, in sauce or not (it's up to you!) - cooked as per the packet. You can use any type of white fish, or even a mix of fish and prawns if you like a selection of seafood in your pie
- 1Kg potatoes, mashed*
- Half a mug of frozen peas, top up the mug with boiling water for 2 minutes to defrost them: pour boiling water in, stir, strain and top up again. Strain the peas to use them in this recipe.
- Packet of white sauce (or you can microwave yourself some white sauce from my quick white sauce recipe: http://hubpages.com/hub/5-Minute-Microwave-White-Sauce--Microwave-Cheese-Sauce)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced thinly
*To quickly make mash, boil a kettle and thinly slice the potatoes, put the potatoes into boiling water and continue to boil for about 12 minutes. Strain and mash.
Quick & Easy Fish Pie Method
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/375°F
- Grease a casserole dish and place one portion of the cooked and broken up fish pieces in the bottom (along with the sauce.
- Place a layer of mashed potato on top.
- Break up the second fish portion. with sauce, and place it on top.
- Tip the peas and egg slices on top.
- Pour on a layer of white sauce.
- Top with the remaining mashed potato
- Place in the middle of a pre-heated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until the top's browned.
Here are some serving suggestions:
- You can eat this on its own
- You can serve it with a side portion of peas or sweetcorn. Perhaps even a tin of tomatoes.
- Try putting some grated cheese on the top before you place the fish pie in the oven.
- Slice tomatoes onto the top before baking the fish pie
Variations & Alternatives
Here are a couple of alternatives to get you thinking about how you can enjoy this more:
- You can use tuna, straight out of the can, instead of fish portions.
- Don't skimp on the fish portions if you like a lot of fish - go mad and have two portions per person
This recipe is really what YOU make of it - adjust the ingredients and quantities to suit your mood and the occasion.
This fish pie is a great family meal, or winter warmer!