How To Make Mock Guacamole Dip With Peas
Quick and Easy Recipe: Mock Guacamole Dip That Tastes Like The Real Thing
I am one of those rare individuals who cannot eat avocado, or at least much avocado. I love it and it breaks my heart not to be able to feast on guacamole dip.
However, in my quest for finding recipes that can suit anyone's limitations and still be extremely easy to prepare and nutritious to boot, I ran across this little gem of a recipe in a delightful book called The Diabetes Snack, Munch, Nibble, Nosh Book (150 quick treats to add zip to your diet).
Even if you raise an eyebrow when you see the ingredients, ignore your inclination to think it can't be any good! I made this recipe for Thanksgiving and set it out without saying a word to my husband, who is a Mexican food junkie first of all and a snack food junkie secondly.
He dipped in some crackers and some chips and while he was munching away said without preamble 'Hey - this is fantastic guacamole!' I rest my case.
If this recipe can pass muster and go undetected without a speck of avocado in it, it must taste like the real deal. Try it - I think you're gonna like it!
Quick and Easy Recipe for Mock Guacamole
Makes about 12 servings (2 tablespoons each)
- 2 cups frozen peas (I used petite peas)
- 1/4 cup water brought to boiling in small pan
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 cup mild or medium regular or chunky salsa
- Salt if desired
- 2 diced firm Roma tomatoes
- Place frozen peas in small saucepan with 1/4 cup water after the water is boiling. Cover and bring again to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour peas into a colander and rinse repeatedly under running cold water to cool the peas. Drain completely.
- Use a food processor or a blender to combine the drained peas, mayonnaise, lemon juice, cumin, chili powder and garlic. Process but don't make it completely smooth. You want the chunky effect of guacamole.
- Stir in the salsa and salt by hand.
- Just before serving, add the diced Roma tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or up to 24 hours. This allows the flavors to blend.
- The finished guacamole dip will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Serve with flat bread, crackers, or chips.
See the suggestion below for a great holiday dip idea!
Quick and Easy Recipe: Mock Guacamole That Tastes Like The Real Thing
As you can imagine, this recipe is extremely healthy. For one 2 tablespoon serving, it weighs in at 37 calories. It is also high in fiber with 2 grams, low in sugar, cholesterol and fat.
If you're looking for an alternative to the real guacamole or you just don't happen to have some avocados on hand, this is a great alternative recipe.
As a great holiday idea for guacamole, just before serving, place the dip (real or mock) into a small freezer bag and snip off 1 corner. Then use the freezer bag like a pastry bag and pipe your guacamole dip into a wreath shape (or any other holiday shape). It makes a great presentation! Use diced Roma tomatoes to garnish it and serve with crackers, flatbreads or chips!
More Hubs on Great Guacamole
- Homemade Guacamole Made With Peas
I love guacamole. I can't think of having fajitas without sour cream and guacamole. Nacho chips are nothing without guacamole.
- How To Make Guacamole At Home
No snack beats fresh guacamole made at home from perfectly ripe avocados. Add in chunks of ripe tomatoes, chopped white onions and loads of fresh cilantro, and this dip is perfection on a corn chip.
- Homemade Guacamole Recipes
Homemade Guacamole can be the best thing to happen to your mouth. When ordering at a restaurant, you never know what you'll get. Making it at home, you have control of how it turns out. I've had some at...
- Best Easy Guacamole Recipe
This is probably my most favorite Mexican dish. Its easy to make, easy to present and everyone loves a fresh Guacamole. It makes a great dip at parties or a great appetizer. It is vital to use fresh...
- Simple Guacamole
Guacamole. This is the only dish I make that never makes it to leftover status. It is also the only dish I make that I actually have to smack hands away from so it will at least make it to the table. A...
- Best Hot Guacamole Recipe
Guacamole is more popular than ever and a snap to make. Early Spanish settlers called this Mexican favorite the butter of the poor, because it was flavorful, inexpensive and easily incorporated into a...
- Christmas Ideas: Guacamole Dip Shaped Like A Wreath
I saw a recipe for this in the Costco Cookbook that they were giving out last weekend here in town. What caught my eye about this recipe was that it was SO simple as you make it in a Ziploc bag. ...
- How to Make Unbeatable Guacamole
*Another great addition for this recipe is to toss in some craisins. You'll love it. I want to share my recipe for what I truly believe to be the best guacamole Ive ever had. Of course, I have been making...
- Making Traditional Guacamole the Mexican Way.
Eat Guacamole Anytime Mexican food has established itself as one of the worlds outstanding cuisines. The basics, such as chillies and tortillas, are sold everywhere in Europe; they were available many...