- Food and Cooking
Quick And Simple Pizza Empanadas
How'd they taste?
Pizza empanadas are delicious and ridiculously easy to make. This is a very kid-friendly recipe, and it cooks quickly. Your kids will love helping, plus they taste better than a slice of pizza!
Please note: Pre-made empanada dough discs come with 10 in a pack. You can expect each person to eat at least 3 empanadas each, so calculate accordingly. Happy cooking!
- Empanada dough discs, (Available pre-packaged at supermarket)
- Package of shredded cheese, (Mexican or 4-cheese variety)
- Traditional pasta sauce
- Pepperoni slices
- Peanut oil, (smokes less at high heat)
Cooking pizza empanadas
- Before you begin, add about 1 to 1/2 cups of oil to a medium sized skillet (you may need more or less depending on size of skillet). You will want the oil at 360 degrees to fry the empanadas (if it's hot enough, a drop of water should sizzle when it hits it.).
- Begin by spreading a dollop of pizza sauce around the empanada, avoiding the edges.
- Sprinkle a LINE of cheese in the middle of the empanada. Make sure it is not a pile or it will take up too much space. You don't need much.
- Place two or three pepperoni slices in the middle, on top of the cheese. For easier sealing, you could tear the slices up into smaller pieces, but this isn't necessary.
- Fold one side of the empanada over the ingredients and touch it to the other, like you would fold a taco. Press the edges together with your fingers.
- Take a fork, and using just the end of the tines, firmly press the dough edges together. Ensure it is properly closed, otherwise you will lose your filling in the oil.
- Fry empanadas in oil for 1-2 minutes per side. They will be golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve.