Quick & Easy Lasagna Recipe
History of Lasagna
Where do most pasta dishes originate? Italy of course. This dish is no exception. Napoli claims to be the home of this pasta dish. Lasagna is known to consist of ragu. Ragu is a thick sauce made of onions, carrots, finely chopped pork and beef, celery, butter, and tomatoes. Though throughout time, the ingredients have varied, two ingredients have remained in the recipe and are essential for the Lasagna sauce- beef and tomatoes.
Quite the same
There are many recipes for Lasagna. Many are the same. Most ingredients do not change. All the recipes call for beef, pasta and sauce. Ricotta cheese is called for in most recipes, but not this one. Instead, I substitute for cottage cheese and egg. Another significant difference is the meat. It calls for a pound of beef and a pound of pork, as well. Lastly, this recipe is quick because boiling noodles is not required. No boiling when you use "oven ready" lasagna noodles.
What you will need:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage
- 1 c. cottage cheese
- 2 c. shredded Colby & Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 oz. tomato paste
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) oven-ready lasagna
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 8 oz water
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream, (hwc)
|Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 5 g|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 21 g||42%|
|Cholesterol 49 mg||16%|
|Sodium 750 mg||31%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and pork sausage.
- Lightly drain, leaving some fat for sauce.
- Add water, hwc, paste and seasonings. Mix well.
- Bring sauce to boil. Add meat & drippings. Remove from heat.
- In 2 quart (9 x 13 inch) baking dish, layer sauce, uncooked lasagna, cottage cheese and shredded cheese; repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- Garnish with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting into 6 squares.
© 2014 E Matt Howerton