- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Recipe for how to Make Quick, No-Cook Pickled Cucumbers and Onions
Quick, No-Cook Pickles
Pickles don't have to require months of waiting - this quick pickle recipe shows you how to create a pickled cucumber and onion salad that can be ready in time for tonight's dinner! This light, tasty side is the perfect complement for a heavy main dish and goes great with summer sandwiches and burgers. The simple recipe shown here can be used to add an extra pop of taste to my mango salsa recipe, eaten alone, or modified for even more flavor.
Ingredients for Quick, No-Cook Pickles
The ingredients for basic quick pickles are few and simple.
- 1 or 2 cucumbers, depending on how much picked cucumber you want
- 1/2 a red onion or sweet onion
- 1/3 cup of apple cider (just apple cider, not ACV or the pickles will be super acidic!)
- 1/3 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
Pickled Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe
1. Peel your cucumber. You can use any knife or peeler, but I absolutely love my Kunh Rikon Swiss Peelers. Growing up, I was known for creating square potatoes when set to peeling them. Now, my square potato problem is solved! This peeler quickly and easily removes the skin with its carbon steel blade without digging into the fruit of vegetable's flesh.
2. Trim the cucumber to remove where the stem and flower attached on either end. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, as if you were going to make zucchini boats.
3. Scoop the seeds and pulpy parts out with a spoon. This is amazingly easy! Discard the cucumber's innards, or eat them, if you'd like. They're actually kind of nice and refreshing, if they're chilled.
4. Cut the cucumber halves in half, lengthwise, again to form four long spears. Then slice the cucumber spears to form little half-U shaped pieces.
6. Chop the onion.
7. Combine the cucumber and onion pieces in a bowl.
8. Add the apple cider, rice wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
9. Cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour. It is incredible how quickly the cucumbers crisp up and become pickles!
Have you ever made quick pickles before?
Quick Pickle Suggestions
I kept this recipe simple because I knew I wanted to use these pickled cukes and onions for some fresh mango salsa, but there are many ways to add some extra flavor to turn this into a great, light side dish.
- Add several allspice berries to the pickling mixture.
- Throw in sliced or crushed garlic.
- Add a teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Use fresh or dried dill.
Those are all the additions I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are many other tasty options out there. Has anyone made quick pickles with any additional ingredients for added yum? I'd love to hear about them! Cucumber season will be here before we know it and it's always nice to have new ways to fix old favorites.