Quick and Easy Dinner ~ Pasta, Pesto and Seafood Recipe with Shrimp and Scallops
Shrimp, scallops and fettuccini with pesto sauce
What's for Dinner Tonight?
If looking for something simple to do that takes little time and yet offers good taste as well as nutrition, look no further. This shrimp, scallop and fettuccine meal with pesto is about as easy as it gets!
I purposely have not put exact measurements as this recipe can so easily be adapted to a single serving, two or more servings. Just adjust the amounts of ingredients accordingly to suit your needs.
Instead of using shrimp and scallops, other types of seafood could be utilized. A fillet of fish would be a great substitute as an example, and be equally good with this recipe.
So use your own judgement and taste preferences when considering this pasta and seafood recipe.
- Shrimp, Peeled and deveined
- Fettuccini, Cooked following package directions
- Pesto, Homemade or from a jar
- Chives, (optional)
- Cook the fettuccini per package instructions. Drain in a colander when finished cooking.
- During the time the fettuccinie is cooking... Using a sauté pan put a tablespoon or two (depending upon the size of the pan) of extra virgin olive oil and a pat of butter in the bottom and begin to heat to a medium high.
- Dredge the shrimp and scallops in flour and pat off the extra between your hands. Place the seafood into the pan when the oil and butter is melted and beginning to sizzle. Sauté for two minutes before turning to the other side. Sauté another 1 1/2 minutes or until done adding salt and pepper to both sides of the seafood to taste. Hint...The shrimp turns pink when cooked. When nicely browned on both sides and cooked (this only takes a few minutes depending upon the size of your shrimp and scallops) take out of the pan and set aside covering with foil to keep warm.
- Combine the cooked fettuccini with a few tablespoons or more (just enough to nicely coat the noodles) of the pesto and toss together.
- Arrange the dressed fettuccini in the center of a warmed plate and space the cooked shrimp and scallops artistically around the perimeter of the plate with one in the center.
- Use fresh chives (if desired) to garnish the plate.
- Pair this with a fresh salad for a delicious complete meal.
- If you like wine, a nice chilled Sauvignon Blanc is a good accompaniment.
Cooking the shrimp & scallops
Homemade Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Reggiano grated cheese
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 2 to 3 peeled garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
Combine all of these ingredients in a food processor until smooth and blended. Makes approximately 1 cup of pesto.
30 Minute Meal
This type of meal should appeal to many people when they are in a hurry to prepare a nourishing meal without too much trouble.
Pesto sauce when making a homemade version is so easy to prepare ahead of time and freeze. Just put a little extra virgin olive oil over the pesto when freezing it, and it will retain its bright green coloration as well as flavor when thawed later on to be used in many different recipes. I also put a little plastic wrap over the top of the oil before refrigerating or freezing it.
Another way to preserve homemade pesto is to freeze it in ice cube trays. When completely frozen wrap each individual piece in plastic wrap and freeze in another freezer duty plastic bag. Then when you wish just a bit of pesto flavor you can thaw what you think you might need for the dish you are preparing.
The pesto recipe can easily be altered like I did in this particular instance.
My basil plants in the garden were coming to an end and I did not have quite enough for the recipe so I substituted some fresh spinach leaves instead of using all basil. The flavor is not quite as intense but it is still delicious. Walnuts are also a good and less expensive substitute for the pine nuts. I think that I also threw in a bit of parsley into my homemade pesto combination.
Don't be afraid to make your own substitutions with this basic pesto recipe.
Pesto from Scratch
Have you ever made your own pesto?
One serving size with 2 ounces cooked fettuccini and 3 scallops and 6 pieces of medium shrimp with pesto sauce...
|Serving size: per person|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 79 g||26%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|Cholesterol 140 mg||47%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Please rate this recipe! Thanks!
© 2012 Peggy Woods