- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Quick and Easy Fruit Cake Recipe
Quick and Easy Fruitcake
Fruitcake, in some form or another, has been around for centuries - and that's the great thing about it - there are no set rules about what makes a fruitcake a fruit cake - apart from the fact it contains fruit.
Fruitcakes can be light, dark, dry or moist. Some contain nuts, some don't, some contain glace cherries, some don't - but most contain some form of chopped peel and soaked fruit - and for me that's where the challenges begin.
You see I love fruitcake, but I'm really not keen on the whole chopping / soaking thing, I like a more immediate result to my cooking .... and that wanting quick results formed the origins of this quick and easy fruitcake recipe.
Easy Fruitcake Key Ingredient
The key ingredient to any fruit cake is, of course, the fruit. Traditionally this includes chopped peel and sultanas etc, and often recipes call for these to be soaked for hours.
Trouble is, for me time is valuable and patience in short supply - so I looked for a way to circumvent this stage - and I found it in the shape of mincemeat (the mince pie kind not the shepherds pie sort).
I was meandering around my local Sainsburys supermarket one January and saw they were selling off the ex-christmas jars of mincemeat at ridiculously low prices ~ and I mean less than the price of an apple or packet of crisps kind of low.
It occurred to me that this was the answer I was looking for, after all mincemeat is a mix of sugar, pureed fruits, peel, sultanas, spices and a few other bits and pieces - basically all the fruitcake fruit stuff I needed, without any of the preparation.
So I stocked up, went home, got cooking and the result is a beautifully sticky, moist fruitcake, rich with spice, golden brown and the best bit of all is that it only takes about 5 mins to mix the ingredients and an hour to cook - what could be easier.
Quick and Easy Fruit Cake Ingredients
1 x jar mincemeat (approx 400g) *
250g (8oz) salted butter - softened
250g (8oz) caster sugar
3 medium eggs
175g (6oz) plain (all purpose) flour
* I used Sainsburys Taste the Difference Mincemeat but any good quality mincemeat should do the trick.
Quick and Easy Fruit Cake Method
Heat oven to 160C and grease and line a 7" (18cm) loose bottomed cake tin.
1. In a large bowl cream together the softened butter and the caster sugar
2. Add the mincemeat and mix thoroughly to combine
3. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well to incorporate each one
4. Fold in the flour
5. Put the mixture into your cake tin as evenly as possibly.
6. Place the cake tin on a baking tray and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approx 1 hr (ovens vary so check the cake after around 45 mins and if it looks uncooked but the edges are catching at all turn the oven down by 10C and continue to cook)
Other Cake Recipes and Information
- Dairy Free Carrot Cake Recipe
Moist, dark, full of flavor and packed full of fruit and veg, dairy free carrot cake is a king among cakes. The recipe below can be made as either a single cake or gives enough mixture for 12 cupcakes. As...
- Baking Tips - How to Stop Cakes Rising In The Middle
Baking is a great pastime, but the constant problem of cakes rising too much in the middle can be off putting. However by using the following baking tips you'll find that it's a fairly simple problem to...
- Baking Tips - How to Stop Cakes Burning in The Oven
Chances are anyone who bakes has at some time burnt a cake, the good news is that by following the baking tips contained here, burnt cakes should become a thing of the past. Baking, like almost anything...
- Baking Tips - Why a Cake Sinks in the Middle and How...
Baking is a wonderful pastime, but constant problems such as cakes sinking in the middle can be disheartening. Hopefully these simple baking tips will give you a better idea of the reasons cakes sink and how...
- Chocolate Sponge Cake with Buttercream and Blueberri...
If If you're looking for an easy chocolate sponge cake recipe then this is it. Nothing puts me off a recipe more than a page of ingredients which reads more like a weekly shopping list, and a set of...
- Lemon Curd Sponge Cake with Lemon Cheesecake Topping...
A good lemon sponge should be easy to make, be dripping with lemon flavour and be able to display both the sweetness of a sponge cake and the tartness of the lemon. Add to this a luxurious lemon cheesecake topping and this easy cake recipe becomes an