- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Quick and Easy Mushroom Soup
This mushroom soup is the most quick and easy recipe I have and we're crazy about it! If you're in the mood for a rich satisfying soup that's packed with flavor with few ingredients and little cook-time, give this one a try. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make it very low calorie by using skim or 2% milk and a light olive oil instead of the butter of ghee (clarified butter).
If you want to give it a little more dimension, pre-boiled potatoes and/or celery can be added.
If you love the flavor of mushroom soup, you are going to love this recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter, ghee or oil
- 3 Tbsp flour
- Heat the butter, ghee or oil in a small wok or sauce pan on medium high. Add cracked pepper and let it sizzle for a minute, then reduce to medium heat. In a separate pan, heat the milk and water to boiling point and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic. Fry until onions are cooked through and translucent but not brown.
- Add the mushrooms and the rest of the seasonings and saute until cooked through.
- Reduce to medium low heat and add the flour to the mushroom mixture and incorporate thoroughly.
- Slowly add two ladles, one at a time, of hot milk to the mushrooms while stirring. This will allow the soup to thicken without lumps. Now slowly pour the remaining hot milk into the mixture while stirring.
- Add the fresh cilantro.
- Turn heat to simmer and allow flavors to combine for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with croutons or your favorite cheese and enjoy!
- Note: If you decide you want to make the soup thicker after adding all the milk, put additional flour (1 to 2 Tbsp) in a separate cup and add a ladle of the hot soup mixture while stirring. Once the flour is dissolved you can add it slowly into the soup while stirring. This will avoid causing lumps.