Quick and Easy Okra Goulash
A Quick and Easy Satisfying Meal
So many people have different ideas about how to make goulash. The original goulash was brought over from Hungary many years ago and is mainly made from meat, tomatoes, potatoes and various spices. Since then there have been many varieties of goulash but the main ingredients still remain meat, tomatoes and either potatoes or pasta. Here in the south, we tend to like our macaroni and okra, so I have combined these ingredients to make my "okra goulash". Okra is very nutritious and helps to make this recipe a quick and easy meal to make for a healthy lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound ground beef, can use turkey or venison
- 1 cup macaroni pasta
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, I use garlic, basil, oregano flavor
- 1 6 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Brown ground meat in skillet and drain excess fat. Using ground turkey or venison will make this recipe very low in fat.
- While your meat in cooking, boil your macaroni until tender. Adding just a touch of cooking oil to your boiling water will keep your macaroni from sticking to the pan. Once it is done, drain and set aside.
- When your meat is done, add the diced tomatoes, with juice. Stir in the garlic salt and cumin. Add the sliced okra and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Now add the cooked macaroni and tomato sauce. Stir gently to mix everything well and heat throughly.
This is not only a quick and easy meal, but healthy too. I do like to use ground venison instead of ground beef as it has much less fat. The okra and cumin add a little "southern touch" to all time favorite recipe. Add a pan of hot corn bread and you have a wonderful, satisfying, healthy meal in no time.
Do you ever use okra in recipes?
- All About Okra - Origin, Planting and Cooking
Okra is one of my favorite vegetables to plant in my garden each year. Not only is it tasty, it is easy to grow and drought tolerant. Okra has a long history and I have included information on its origin, as well as how to plant, harvest and cook wit
- Pickled Okra Recipe - Hot or Not
Pickled okra is one of my family’s favorite snacks! Adding a little jalapeno to this recipe gives it some extra flavor. It’s not hot, just has a little snap. Not only is it tasty, but it is very good for you too. Okra is high in both types of fibers
- Fast and Easy Venison Recipes
My husband enjoys hunting and I enjoy having the meat in the freezer. I like recipes that don't take a lot of time to prepare. I would like to share a few of my fast and easy venison recipes with you.
- Mustard Potato Salad Recipe - Southern Style
This mustard potato salad has a little twist of flavor by adding ranch dressing instead of mayo. My husband says it is the best mustard potato salad he has ever eaten!