Quick Rye Bread Recipe
Easy Rye Bread Recipe
Making bread at home is so easy that anyone can do it. This is a quick and easy recipe for Rye bread that uses half rye flour and half strong white flour for a lighter rye bread.
The recipe also uses easy bake yeast for speed and simplicity. Normally you would have to activate yeast by adding it to warm water or milk and letting it begin to work for 20 or 30 minutes. By using easy bake yeast you add the dry yeast to your mixture and it begins to work as soon as you add warm water to your mixture.
The best results come from organic flour if you can get it or afford it.
I use a little rape seed oil in the mixture but you could use any vegetable oil.
You can also add a teaspoon of sugar to the mixture if you wish.
Other optional ingredients are dried fruit or nut's or just about anything you fancy!
Breadmaking can seem daunting if you have never done it before, so I have broken down the process into as few steps as possible to make it easy and quick.
The rye bread keeps well. If you put it in a plastic bag in the fridge it will keep for over a week, no problem.
Home Made Rye Bread
Rye Bread Ingredients
- 250g or 0.5lb or 1 Cup Rye Flour, Organic
- 250g or 0.5lb or 1 Cup Strong white flour, Organic
- 2 teaspoons Yeast, Easy Bake dried
- 15ml or 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil, Rape Seed Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt, ordinary table salt
- 300ml or 1.5 Cups Warm Water
Rye Bread Proof and Cook Time
Rye Bread Instructions
- Weigh out 250 grams of organic rye flour and 250 grams of strong white flour into a mixing bowl
- Add 2 teaspoons of easy bake yeast
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Add 15ml of vegetable oil
- Add 300ml of warm water
- Mix for several minutes until a smooth dough is formed using either a mixer with bread hook or by hand.
- Put into a one pound bread tin. If using a steel tin, grease first or line with baking parchment. I use a silicone 'tin' as the bread will pop out without sticking.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave to rise for up to an hour or until the dough is above the top of the tin.
- Bake in the middle of a hot oven, gas mark 7 or 425F or 220C for 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Tap the bottom, if it sounds hollow it's probably done. If it looks a little soft, pop it back in the oven for 5 minues without the tin. Enjoy!