- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Kid Friendly Pigs in a Blanket
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 8-10 Servings (1 roll)
Were they good?
I love to cook! And it's a good thing, too, because my family loves to eat. As my toddler gets older, she wants to help Mommy do more things in the kitchen. She likes to help me to put away and do dishes, carry in and put away groceries, and most recently help me cook.
It's obvious that I am not going to give her a knife and let her help me chop and dice the onions, or stir the stew, and so to get her more involved with helping in the kitchen, I have been finding and applying recipes that she can easily help with.
Here's a recipe in particular that has become one of my family's favorites. It's filling, easy to make, easy on the wallet, and it gives my daughter the opportunity to do a little more in the kitchen.
My Family's Favorite Inner Fixings
- Chili w/ cheese
- BBQ w/ cheese
- Pickles, ketchup, mustard
- Ranch dressing
- Nothing :)
3 Magical Ingredients:
- Hot dogs
- Crescent rolls
- Inner Fixings--You choose!
The Best Hot Dogs to Use (but you choose):
Beef Hot Dogs
Turkey Hot Dogs
Veggie/Soy Hot Dogs
Ball Bark Turkey Franks
Worthington Veggie Links
Ball Park Franks
Jennie-O Turkey Franks
Morning Star Veggie Dogs
Oscar Mayer Turkey Franks
Gwaltney Turkey Franks
Choosing the Right Crescent Roll:
Great Value Brand
Pillsbury Gluten Free Dough
Pillsbury Reduced Fat
Any other Generic Brand
Generic Crescent Rolls
Gluten Free Crescent Roll Recipes:
What type of hot dog do you prefer?
Do have any of these allergies?
What to Do:
- Grease a large enough pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Depending on the size of the hot dog, cut in either quarter pieces or half pieces. For smaller hot dogs, you get about 2 pieces from one. For larger hot dogs, you will get about 4 pieces. This makes it easier to roll the crescent roll around it and less messy (when you include the good stuff ^_^).
- Open a can of crescent rolls and place on large enough surface. Place condiments and hot dog respectively on the large end of the crescent roll and carefully roll dough over the mix.
- Place in preheated oven and bake about 10 to 12 minutes (or until lightly browned on top). Let cool for about 5 minutes and enjoy!
Extra Sweet Treat:
As a bonus, if you've got leftover crescent rolls, try making a sweet treat out of them.
Add your favorite sweet filling, roll and bake in a pre-heated oven of 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Here are a few things to try:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Apple slices and cinnamon sugar
- Chocolate and marshmallows
- Fruit preserves
- Nutella and crushed pecans
If you want, drizzle your favorite icing on top.
Keep It Kid Friendly!
Parents, I recently learned that hot dogs are the number choking hazard for children, and so to keep this dish kid friendly, be sure to cut your child's pig in a blanket into teeny tiny bite size pieces. We don't want any accidents. Be safe!
Enjoy Every Moment
It's so rewarding when my daughter stands in her "big girl" chair, looks up at me with her big, blue eyes, and says, "Mommy, I cook!" My heart smiles and I know that she is feeling accomplished. She knows it, too, and does so by showing and telling me. I hope for those of you reading this find that it's not about how delicious this meal is, or how quick and easy it is to make, or even how much it saves you, it's about the time you get to spend with your family.
I cherish the times that I get to cook with my daughter. It helps her to grow and it helps our relationship grow. Enjoy every moment that you can because it won't always be there. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does. God bless!