- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Quinoa Turkey Loaf
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey (low fat)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Frank's hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg or two egg whites
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, spinach, bell pepper, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet or meatloaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).