- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Ranch Mashed Potatoes
This is a recipe that I have made up and used over the years. Everyone loves it. It is simple, easy, and does not require a lot of thought.
- 5-6 large potatoes
- 1/2 cup Ranch Dressing
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wash and peel potatoes. You may keep the skins on if you desire.
- Cut potatoes into cubes and place in pot filled with water. Boil until fork tender.
- Drain hot water from pot. Return potatoes to pot and "dry" by heating in pot for 2-3 minutes. Shake the pot during this time so that the potatoes do not stick or burn on the bottom.
- Add Ranch dressing, butter, and spices.
- Mash by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.
Mashing the potatoes by hand is my preferred method. It keeps them light and fluffy. Yes, there are a few lumps, but using a hand mixer to make them smooth often makes them gummy. Too much gluten is released when they are whipped like that and the end result is not as tasty.
As always, there are some items you can add to the above recipe to make it even better.
Some of the ingredients that can amp this recipe up when added are (they can be mixed and matched to your tastes):
1/2 cup bacon bits
mix half sweet potatoes and half white potatoes during boiling
leave the potato skins on during boiling
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup shredded cheese - any kind
use 1/2 cup vegetable cream cheese or chive cream cheese instead of the Ranch Dressing
mix half cauliflower and half potatoes - add cauliflower to the last 15 minutes of the potato cooking time
butter can be omitted if desired
if you want smoother potatoes, you can add 1/2 cup milk to the recipe