Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
You Can't Get Enough!
This is a favorite of mine. I grew up eating variations of this recipe, as plain rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb, and my favorite raspberry rhubarb. This recipe is so good, that my wife told me I can't make any more, because she can't stay away from it. Well, I can't either, so do you think I'm going to listen to her? ;-)
Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp
- *** FILLING INGREDIENTS:, ***
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Cool Water
- 1/3 cup Corn Starch
- 4 1/2 cups Sliced Rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups (12 oz.) Fresh or Frozen Raspberries
- 4 teaspoons Vanilla
- *** CRISP INGREDIENTS:, ***
- 2 cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 cups "Old Fashioned" Rolled Oats
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 cup (two cubes) Melted Unsalted Butter
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Slice the rhubarb stalks in pieces at about a 45 degree diagonal across the stalk, and about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. This method enables large chunks of rhubarb while keeping the fibers short. Set the rhubarb aside with the raspberries.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, whisk the sugar, water, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolved with no lumps. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer and stir frequently until the mixture is very thick, this should take approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the 4 teaspoons of vanilla. Then gently mix in the rhubarb and the raspberries, until they are completely coated.
- In a medium (approximately 3 quart) bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt the butter and whisk in 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Add the butter mixture to the oat mixture and mix until thoroughly combined and moist throughout the mixture.
- Spread half of the oat mixture, pressing it evenly onto the bottom of a 14 x 10 inch or a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Spread the rhubarb mixture evenly over the first layer, then sprinkle the remaining oat mixture evenly on top. At this point, I like to lightly sprinkle just a few extra oats on top before placing it in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let cool to allow the filling to set, or serve warm with vanilla ice cream on top.
For a gluten free recipe, try replacing the flour with oat or rice flour.