Best Tips for Success in the Kitchen
I am by no means an expert when it comes to cooking. I have had no professional training unless you count endless hours of watching food network..lol! What I do have is a passion for cooking and with that I have taught myself how to be successful in the kitchen. I have had several people ask me what was the secret ingredient I left out of the recipe I gave them. Because it did not taste the same when they made it. But the recipe is the same one I use. The difference is in the details. Many people forget the most important rule of cooking which is to read the recipe before you begin. Below I have included several tips that can help you be successful in the kitchen.
Tips for success in the Kitchen.
- Always read the recipe before you begin. It will help give you an idea of what you have to do and help you get everything ready. There is nothing worse than getting confused halfway thru a recipe which can result in less than ideal results.
- Sanitation is important to success in the kitchen. Be sure to always start with clean work surfaces and clean hands.
- You need to be prepared before you begin cooking so always prep by getting the ingredients you need ready before you begin cooking. This will help you not forget to add anything.
- As obvious as it sounds you need to follow the directions. Don't take short cuts until you are comfortable enough with a recipe to know how it will affect the outcome.
- If you recipe requires cooking don't forget to preheat the oven. Do not put a dish in before the oven is preheated to the correct temperature this will affect the outcome of the dish.
- Another important tip is to watch the dish as it cooks. Recipes are often just a guide for the cooking times as they can vary so keep an eye on your dish to make sure you don't overcook or undercook it.
- Practice....Practice...Practice! The more you do something the better you become at it so the more you cook the more comfortable you will become with it.