Real Southern Cornbread
Skillet Corn Bread
Real Southern Cornbread
When it comes to the south one of the first things that come to mind is the corn bread. A yummy crusty yellow cornbread made in a cast iron skillet. Unlike the Northern style cornbread, true southern cornbread does not have any sugar and hardly any flour in it.
If you have ever talked to anyone in the south then you know their corn bread holds a dear place in their heart, and everyone makes theirs the best.
What makes southern cornbread so good is the crust. The trick to doing this is heating your grease in your skillet in the oven to get it nice and hot before you ever start on the corn bread. If you do not have a good crust on your cornbread then you are missing out on the best part.
When I was a kid growing up and even today I don’t think there is ever a dinner without homemade corn bread with it. It goes with everything from chili, stew, and chicken to beans. Corn bread is simple and very cheap to make.
This recipe is the same one I grew up with and now my kids are growing up with. It is a god family heirloom recipe, but like with all my recipe please feel free to edit it to your family tastes and needs.
Also if you have any questions or comment please leave a message below.
- 1/2 c. shortening or bacon fat
- 2 c. yellow cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp . flour
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Add the grease to a cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven
- While the skillet gets hot, in bowl mix cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour grease into cornmeal mix. Add egg and butter milk until batter is just thin enough to pour into skillet.
- Pour batter into skillet Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.
- Enjoy with butter, jam, or honey
See How Its Made
How Do You Like Your Corn Bread
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
- True Texas Chili
This is a recipe for a easy make at home true Texas chili, with no beans or tomatoes.
- Ham and Potato Hash
A recipe for a easy Ham Hash with potatoes. That is perfect for holiday leftovers.
- Best Homemade Apple Butter Recipe
A Simple Recipe For A Slow Cooked Apple Butter That Everyone Will Love
- Amish Friendship Bread
This is a recipe for Amish Friendship Bread starter and cinnamon bread. with a day by day guide.