- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Vanilla Ice cream Recipe & 3 of the Best Ice cream makers
Easy Vanilla Ice cream
Vanilla Ice cream is one of the most popular flavoured ice creams consumed the world over & an all time favourite of min.
You will really enjoy this simple and quick recipe. Using the vanilla paste will elevate this so called "plain" ice cream to one of the best you will ever make. The paste will add those little speckles of vanilla and add a real boost of flavour to the ice cream.
Once you have tried vanilla paste or even the fresh vanilla bean, you will find it hard going back to vanilla essence. Don't get me wrong, a good quality essence adds great flavour to desserts.
Vanilla bean has become more widely available in the last few years and is very reasonably priced. Only a small amount is needed to give your ice cream a punch of flavour.
- 2 Large eggs
- 3/4 Cup white sugar
- 2 Cups double/thick cream
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla paste
Putting together your real vanilla ice cream
- Whisk the 2 eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy. The more air bubbles the better. Add the sugar a little at a time while still whisking. 3 minutes should be sufficient.
- Add the cream and milk whisking while you go. This will only take a further 2 minutes. Add the Vanilla paste and whisk for 1 minute and pour into your Ice cream maker.
Tips for better ice cream results
- Use all ingredients straight from the refrigerator to help your ice cream maker to freeze the mix quicker.
- use a spatula to scrape your bowl into the ice cream maker. Vanilla is heavier and can sink to the bottom of your bowl.
- When storing your freezer bowl, wrap it in a plastic bag to protect it from scratches and ice damage.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer 3-4 minutes before serving.
- Never store vanilla in the fridge. Store in an airtight container in a dark place.
Did you know..........
July is national icecream month in the U.S.A
Hawaii has a fruit that eliminates the need for a vanilla ice cream recipe. They have a fruit called the ice cream bean or the monkey tamarind that tastes like vanilla ice cream.
You may also want to try......
- From planting the vine it takes 3 years before the vine produces its first flowers. When the bean starts to develop it has to stay on the plant a further 9 months to ripen. Once picked from the vine, the bean still has to be sun dried in which it will shrink to 20% of it's original size.
- There are over 150 different kinds of vanilla, although just 2 kinds are cultivated commercially, Bourbon & Tahitian.
- Due to the high cost of vanilla, 98% of vanilla used for flavour or fragrance is synthetic.
- Vanilla is the 2nd most expensive spice in the world after Saffron.
- The vanilla bean is hand pollinated. Between 1,000 - 2,000 orchid flowers are pollinated each day per worker.
Budget Machine - Cuisinart ICE-30BC
The Cuisinart ICE-30BC is the machine i used for this recipe and which i have used for my ice cream recipes for over half a decade now. It has proved to be a very reliable machine and aesteticaly its looks are beautiful with a brushed stainless steel body.
For those that make ice cream from time to time this is a great machine. It works by placing a liquid filled bucket in the freezer until frozen solid, then it is placed in the body of the Cuisinart which is a motor that turns the bucket fitted with a paddle that churns the cream mix.
The price is very reasonable, you should expect to pay $80 and under. On Amazon the price is around half the featured price.
PROS: Reasonably priced. Small for sitting on the counter top. Nice looking brushed stainless finishing.
CONS: The bucket needs to be frozen for each batch of ice cream. The motor can be a little noisy.
Semi-pro Delonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker
This machine is for the serious ice cream makers who want to make a few batches at a time or who don't have space available to be storing a bucket in your freezer.
It is beautifully styled to leave out on you kitchen counter top to use when needed. It works like a freezer. Place the metal bucket (no need for freezing) turn on and pour your mix into the machine. The Gelato maker will freeze the icecream in 20-30 minutes with its own built in freezer.
Cons: Price is higher than the freezer bucket machines and weighs quite a bit more.
Pros: No need to freeze the bucket before using. More than one batch can be made immediately after the first.
Pro-Machine Lello 4080 Musso Lussino
The Lello 4080Musso Lussino is the king of ice cream makers, check out the reviews from over 130 owners on AMAZON.COM. If you are serious about Ice cream making and don't want to have to upgrade like me, this is your ideal machine.
With a sturdy body made with stainless steel, this is also an instant ice cream machine. Place the metal bucket in the body of the machine and like the Delonghi this ice cream maker works as a freezer.
Cons: A little pricey at around $600
Pros: Instant ice cream. Aesthetically pleasing stainless machine you will not be ashamed of your friends seeing this. Reliable, and you will never need another machine again.