- Food and Cooking
Easy Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Cabbage Rolls Ready to Enjoy
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Ready in: 4 hours
- Yields: This recipe will feed 6 people.
Filling Ingredients For Cabbage Rolls
- 1 Large Head of Cabbage
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1 Pound ground pork
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup of uncooked fast cooking rice (Minute Rice)
- 1 Small onion diced
- 3–4 Garlic Cloves chopped
Sauce To Pour Over The Cabbage Rolls
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 2 Small Cans Tomato Sauce or 1 large can
- 1 Large can of diced or whole tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- ¼ - ½ Cup of Brown Sugar
Preparing The Head Of Cabbage
Cut the core off of the cabbage as much as possible. With a small knife I try to dig part of the core out as well. Place cabbage in a large pot of boiling water for about ten minutes or until the leaves are softened enough that you can peel them off the head easily. While your cabbage is in the pot prepare your filling.
Mix all ingredients for filling together making sure that they are well mixed.
Carefully peel off the cabbage leaves making sure you do not tear them. If you happen to tear it do not throw it away as you will want to save it to line the bottom of your roasting pan. Cut off the coarse part. Keep peeling off the leaves until you cannot peel anymore off without tearing. Return the head to the pot of boiling water.
Is There an Easier Way?
If anyone that reads this has a better or easier way to prepare the cabbage in order to remove the leaves please let me know in the comment box below.
Rolling and Filling Your Cabbage Leaves
- Spoon about ¼ cup of your filling into the middle of a leaf. Fold one end and sides over filling and roll. Place on a plate. Keep doing this until all your cabbage rolls are made.
- With your leftover cabbage chop into large pieces and line the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Place all your cabbage rolls on top of the leaves in the roasting pan with the seam side facing down.
- In a saucepan bring all ingredients for the sauce to a boil mixing well. Pour the sauce over your cabbage rolls. Cover the roasting pan with a lid or with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered in a 350° oven for one hour.
- Uncover and bake in a 250° oven for 1 ½ - 2 hours. Check every once in a while to make sure the cabbage rolls are not burning or drying out. If they are pour a bit of tomato sauce on them.
To go along with the cabbage rolls I usually serve perogies, and some type of a vegetable.
If you find that you have too many, cabbage rolls freeze well. Put into a freezer container with the leftover sauce once they have cooled to room temperature.
Low Carb Cabbage Rolls
If you are following a low carb diet, I have a recipe that you may like.