Coleslaw With Oil and Vinegar Dressing
When I make coleslaw it never comes out the same way twice. I very rarely measure out the ingredients, and spices will vary depending on what I have in my spice collection.
Coleslaw goes great as a side dish with just about any meal that you're preparing.
Need to bring something for a potluck dinner? Coleslaw is a big hit at picnics, or potluck dinners.
Vitamins and Minerals in Cabbage
There are many vitamins and minerals in cabbage, which include; vitamin A, C, E, K, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, iron, copper, manganese selenium zinc sodium phosphorus calcium and magnesium.
In raw cabbage there are 25 calories or 103 KJ in 3.5 oz or 100 g.
Health Benefits of Cabbage
- Cabbage juice has been known to help heal peptic ulcers
- Reduces risk of stroke and heart disease, helps rheumatism's and skin problems.
- May help to speed up metabolism.
These spices go into this salad every time I make it
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt or table salt (I like to use Garlic Salt if I have it on hand)
- Ground pepper
- All seasoning salt
Other Spices that Go Well in Coleslaw
- Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic pepper
- Celery seed
- 1 head of green cabbage or ½ green ½ red, grated
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (you can also use red pepper and yellow)
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- ¾ cup White Vinegar
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Canola or Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp – 1 tsp of white sugar
A Helpful Tool
Make this early in the day and refrigerate, or at least an hour before serving to give the flavors a chance to intermingle.
- In a large bowl mix your cabbage, carrots, onion, green pepper, celery and all your spices.
- Make sure all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Add the vinegar and oil mixing well.
- Sprinkle with sugar and mix again.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Before serving mix the salad really well once more.
What to Serve Coleslaw With
I make coleslaw about every two weeks. It is great to serve with ham, fish n chips, goes great on hot dogs or sausages in a bun. Serve it as a side salad with hamburgers. My husband likes it on sub sandwiches that I make him for lunch.
DzyMsLizzy a fellow hubber likes to eat peanut butter on cabbage, which is really quite yummy.
This salad is really good made with broccoli slaw. Instead of using the cabbage you use broccoli slaw. I found broccoli slaw in the grocery store one day in the same produce section where they sell the bagged cabbage for coleslaw.
There are so many wonderful dishes you can make with cabbage. Here are just a few of the many dishes and ways you can add cabbage to your diet.
Soups: Borscht, any type of vegetable soup cabbage goes well in. When I am making turkey soup if I have cabbage on hand I will throw it in.
Boiled dinner such as corned beef and cabbage
Fried cabbage for Bubble and squeak
If cabbage give you gas
Some people find that eating cabbage causes gas. When cooking cabbage if you add a few cumin or caraway seeds to the pot you will find cabbage easier to digest, and it will not tend to give you gas or flatulence.
Other Cabbage Uses
If someone calls you a “cabbage head” it means that they are calling you stupid.
“Mon petite chou” means my little cabbage in French but the meaning is the same as if you would call someone my little darling.
There are many types of cabbage that include white cabbage, Chinese Savoy and Red. China leads the world for most produced cabbage.