- Food and Cooking
Recipe (2): Coral Cucumber
Cucumber has various nutritional elements, such as Vitamin C&E, carotene, potassium, and cancer-inhibiting elements. In Chinese medicine, cucumber is cold in nature. 96% of a cucumber is water, and so has efficacy to detoxify and remove heat. Therefore, cucumber is a prefered vegetable for many people in summer, and an appropriate food for long-term diet.
Cucumber has cucurbitacin C, which can improve the immune system, and help to prevent cancers. It has been proved that cucurbitacin C functions well to cure chronic hepatitis and persistent hepatitis, and can lengthen surviving period of patients with primary carcinoma of liver.
Cucumber is rich in VE, which is well known in anti-aging. Besides, cucumber enzyme has strong biological activity, and promotes metabolism. Therefore, cucumber is popular in cosmetics industry, and has efficacy to water skin and remove wrinkles. Besides, cucumber works well in clearing capillaries, especially new fresh cucumbers, to improve blood circulation and oxidation-reduction action of skin. So, people often use it in daily life to remove black eye circles, i.e. put two slices of cucumber onto the lower lids for 15 minutes after clean face, and the cucumber juice will be absorbed by skin.
Cucumber has alanine, arginine, and glutamine, which help to reduce alcoholism, and then are good for patients with liver disease, while glycoside and fructose in cucumber can help to decrease blood pressure.
Cucumber has also propanoldiacid to help to reduce fat changed from glucose, and so improve to lose weight, while fibers contribute to remove dirts in intestines and decrease the amont of cholesterol.
Cucumber has Vitamin B1, which promotes function of brain and nerve system, so is helpful for sleeping.
Anyway, cucumber is a benificial vegetable, and easy to cook. People can eat it raw, but it is better to make it warm before eating. Here, I am going to introduce the recipe of coral cucumber, which is easy and quick. The speciaty of the dish lies in its sweet and sour flavor, refreshing and a good appetizer, and its beautiful shape, improving appetite for it.
- shredded fresh ginger
- shredded dry red pepper
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- sliced lemon
- white vinegar
- pure water
- put a pan onto the stove, and when it becomes warm, pour into some sesame oil;
- put shredded ginger in it, stirring;
- add shredded red pepper
- pour into appropriate amount of water
- add white vinegar, sugar, a little salt and lemon
- leave it on slow fire
- prepare the cucumber: First, cut it into sliced pieces from one side straight deep down to 4/5 to make the whole cucumber connected together at the down-side; Second, turn around to make the connecting side on the top. Then cut it with an about 30 degree angle. Note: whether the sliced pieces is thin or heavy doesn't matter, but every slice is supposed to be in the same thickness. When first learn to make it, people can put something, such as a chopstick, below, to avoid to break the cucumber.
- Put the cucumber in a container, a plate or a bowl, and spray some salt on it
- Finally, pour the cooked soup on the cucumber, and spray some sesame seeds in it, if have any.