Recipe for Baked Apple-Raisin Pancake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
This delicious recipe for a baked apple-raisin pancake makes a hearty breakfast (or maybe, with some tweaking, a dessert or camp meal) for 4.
I was tempted to call it a "pie-cake" because it is just that, really-- a big luscious cake enveloping carmel-y apple slices and raisins. But I thought that people attracted to this recipe might expect the traditional flakey pie crust and be disappointed.
Persons on a gluten-free regimen with wheat sensitivities or coeliac disease will be delighted at the über comfort food mouth "feel" and taste, features that sometimes evade the usual GF recipe. It is vegan, as well, which means that you can feel healthily virtuous about the egg-free, dairy-free nature of the dish-- oh, and it's cholesterol-free, too, of course.
- 2 medium Cooking Apples, thinly sliced
- 1/3 C. Raisins
- 2 T. packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 4 T. Ground Flaxseed
- 1/4 C. Water
- 2/3 C. Vegan Milk (Soy, Almond, etc.)
- 2/3 C. Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 2 T. Coconut Oil (or Vegan Margarine), Melted
- Peeled, Sliced Ripe Mango, Bananas, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/176°C. Spray a Pie Plate with vegan non-stick cooking spray OR cut parchment paper to size of pan and grease bottom and sides with coconut oil.
- For Flaxseed 'Egg': Grind up 4 T. Flaxseed in Coffee Bean Mill OR use 4 T. of pre-milled Flaxseed. Combine Ground Flaxseed with 1/4 C. Water. Mix until Flaxseed is fully absorbed. Set aside.
- Place Coconut Oil in a small dish over a larger dish of hot water and allow to melt.
- Core and thinly slice Apples. Combine the Apples, Brown Sugar and Raisins in a medium-size bowl and toss together. Lay out Apples in an overlapping Circular Pattern on a pie plate. Sprinkle with the Raisins. Bake about 15 minutes until the Apples begin to soften. Remove from oven and increase the Temperature of oven to 450°F/232°C
- Put GF Flour in a medium-size Bowl and stir to make a 'hole' in the center. Pulse together Flax 'Eggs,'Milk, and melted Coconut Oil in Food Processor until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the hole in the flour. Stir until smooth.
- Pour Batter over Apples and Raisins and Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and puffy.
- Slice into individual portions and transfer to plates. Sprinkle with Powdered Sugar or Heap with Sliced Mango and Bananas (or other fruits or berries or fresh conserves).