- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Recipe for Cauliflower Cheese
Cauliflower Cheese Casserole
This easy-to-prepare Cauliflower Cheese Casserole is a great stand-by. It is quite versatile and can be used as a main dish or a side dish. It makes a useful, tasty dish that is not difficult to prepare and is usually acceptable to the children in the family as well as the adults.
The Cauliflower Cheese Caserole can be prepared beforehand and stored in the freezer in one of two ways.
- It can be cooked without browning the cheese topping, frozen, heated when required and the cheese browned.
- It can be stored when assembled, and later cooked in the oven.
Note: It does take a while to thaw unless you do that in the microwave oven.
- 400 g ( 14 oz.) cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100 g (4 oz) lean bacon, chopped, but not too small
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup low-fat cheese, grated
- 2 sprigs parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 small sprigs marjoram, chopped
- white pepper
Grow Your Own Cauliflowers Organically
- Fresh ingredients are best, so choose a tight, white cauliflower with crisp green leaves. Better still, try growing cauliflowers yourself and then you can be certain that they are organic and fresh.
- Powdered skim milk can be used. make it up to the correct quantity.
- If possible, use your own home-grown herbs, especially if you grow organically. Pick just before preparing them for the recipe.
- Butter is delicious if substituted for the oil, but not always the healthy option.
- Use white pepper for lighter-coloured meals; black for darker meals.
- Preheat the oven to about 370 deg. F Even around 200 deg. C is fine, as the cheese needs to brown.
- Drop the cauliflower florets into a pot of boiling water, bring back to the boil and part cook for about five minutes. Drain and place in casserole dish.
- Mix the cornflour with a little of the milk until there are no lumps. Add the rest of the milk and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the pot, add the chopped bacon and cook for about three minutes. Add the liquid and stir while bringing it to the boil. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens.
- Drop into the mixture half the grated cheese, the chopped parsley and the marjoram. Add pepper to taste. Add salt if desired.
- Pour the mixture over the cauliflower. Top with the remaining cheese and put the casserole in the oven.
- Cook for about twenty minutes or until the cheese begins to brown. Best served hot.
More Simple Recipe Ideas
- Useful Ways to Preserve Food
Covers a variety of methods of preservation, especially making jams and marmalades, crystallising fruits, drying herbs and vegetables including uses for lavender, and ways to freeze berry fruits, vegetables and fish.
- Easy Yule Log Cake Recipe
This recipe takes very little cooking and can be made right up until the day before Christmas. Even children could follow the simple instructions although if you want it to look good as well as taste great, an adult hand would be useful.
- Summer Delight: Jellied Beetroot
An easy recipe for jellied beetroot is preceded by a brief history of the of this ancient vegetable, followed by its uses, nutrition and other methods of cooking through the ages.
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Apricot-Craisin Cupcakes
Recipes that are both gluten free and dairy free are not always easy to find. The cupcakes in this recipe are both moist and tasty - and also nutritious.
- Easy Lavender Recipes
Versatile Lavender is used for many purposes: medicinal, disinfectant and culinary. Preparation of the dried lavender is discussed. This is followed by a recipe for Basic Lavender Syrup along with some creative ideas on how to utilise this syrup.
- Delicious Indian Tomato Boortha
Instructions are given for making an Indian vegetarian dish, including time-saving short-cuts. The traditional Indian way of cooking plain rice and simple coconut rice are included.
- Easy Lunchbox Fruitcake
This versatile fruitcake recipe is healthy: it can be made with wholemeal flour, there is no butter or sugar added and you can even omit the eggs. Like this it's just right for the lunchbox, but there are also instructions for dressing it up.