- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Recipe for Chocolate Chip Bread
Tasty Breakfast Bread
There’s so much to love about breakfast breads. They’re easy to make, they’re hearty, they freeze well, and they’re a great way to start your day. Recently I got a hankering for some chocolate chip bread, but I wanted to give it a little more of a nutritional kick – a little something to offset all the chocolate chips I planned to throw into the batter. So I replaced some of the flour with quick oats, used egg substitutes instead of real eggs, and abandoned any oil or butter in favor of pureed prunes. The result was surprising moist, sweet, and quite hearty – just what I was after.
So here it is, my recipe for chocolate chip bread.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry quick oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 8-10 prunes, pureed
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitutes
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Puree the prunes in a blender (pulse it for just a few seconds).
- Add the pureed prunes, milk, and egg substitutes to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir the batter a few more times.
- Scrape the batter into a greased 9 in x 5 in loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (you may see some melted chocolate on the toothpick and that's okay).
- Enjoy it hot or freeze it for another day!
Calories per serving
|Serving size: 1/8th of loaf|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|