Recipe for Fish Sunehri (Royal Dum Fish)
Prep time: 35 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 50 min
- 600 grams King fish (surmai), cut into 2 inches cubes
- 2 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- To Taste Salt
- 3 Cloves
- 2 inch sticks Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 5 Green cardamom
- 12 Cashewnuts
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower seeds (charoli/chironji)
- 2 teaspoon Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto)
- 1/2 cup Browned Onions
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup Khoya/mawa,grated
- a few sprigs Fresh mint (pudina),torn
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coriander leaves,chopped
- 2-3 Green chillies,chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- few strands Saffron (kesar),soaked in one tablespoon warm milk
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 3 1/4 tablespoons Oil
- 2 Lemons,cut into wedges
- Marinate the fish pieces with ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice and salt. Set aside for thirty minutes. lightly roast cloves, cinnamon, caraway seeds and green cardamoms. Grind them to a fine powder.
- . Dry roast cashew nuts, sunflower seeds and poppy seeds. Grind them to a fine paste. Grind the browned onions with one and a half tablespoons of yogurt to a fine paste.
- Whisk the remaining yogurt with grated khoya till smooth. In a bowl, mix cashew nut paste, browned onion paste, freshly ground masala powder and yogurt-khoya mixture.
- Add mint leaves, coriander leaves and green chillies. Add turmeric powder, saffron and garam masala powder and whisk again. Add one-fourth cup of oil and whisk once more.
- Apply this marinade to the fish pieces and set aside for fifteen minutes. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the fish pieces along with the marinade.
- Turn and cook on the other side and cook for seven to eight minutes or till both the sides are equally done. Serve hot garnished with lemon wedges