Recipe for Fried Rice with Vegetables
Fried Rice with Vegetables
I found this recipe on one of Czech websites - well, to be honest, I found a similar recipe; I cooked this food so many times that I've adjusted it a little so that it would fit my taste. Thus I will present you my version of the recipe. But first, I'm going to tell you a little bit about this food.
The recipe for Fried Rice with Vegetables was said to be one of Vietnamese specialities. For the recipe contains rice, I decided to check some recipes from other Asian countries, and I found a similar recipe in Japanese cuisine.
The recipe is originally vegetarian, but you can adjust it to your taste with adding meat or seafood.
Amount of the food depends on amount of vegetables you'll use. If you add for example only carrot, then amount of the food will be smaller than if you use broccoli and leek on top of that. I'm also going to describe a simplifier version of this food made for one person - I usually cook one portion of the food while being in the dormitory.
Fried Rice - 1 portion
- 4 - 5 Spoons of Jasmine Rice
- Sunflower Oil
- 1 Egg
- Half of Onion
- Amount of Vegetables usually depends on my taste
Fried Rice - 4 portions
- 300g of Jasmine Rice
- Sunflower Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Onion
- About 250g of Vegetables (you can use carrot, broccoli, leek, pea, etc.)
Fried Rice with Eggs
Preparing Fried Rice
- Start with boiling rice. Prepare a cooking pot and fill it with water. Add salt. As soon as water starts to boil, add rice. You don't need to mix rice too often but you should mix it at least two or three times in order to avoid burning it. It usually takes about twenty minutes before rice is done, but it's better to taste it before straining remaining water in order to ensure that it's boiled enough (if you are skilled with cooking rice, there probably won't be water at all).
- While you are boiling rice, start with preparing vegetables. First, you need to cut an onion on small cubes (you'll need it first - there will be more time to cut other vegetables). Put it into a cooking pan and add sunflower oil. Mix occasionally. As soon as the onion takes a golden colour, add eggs and mix it (this part is the same as making mixed eggs). When eggs become yellow and are not raw at all, add boiled rice and mix it. You can fry it for a while.
- Now, you can cut the rest of vegetables. It's up to you which vegetable, or which combination of vegetables, you chose. I always use carrot (it's delicious enough with only carrot in it). Sometimes I add broccoli or leek. But I also tried pea and a spring onion and bamboo shoots (the taste of bamboo shoots is very unique, so not everyone may like this combination). You can also try corn or green bean. Anything you like. Anyway, cut all of your chosen vegetables (it's the best to cut carrot on small stripes, leek on half slices and broccoli on small pieces).
- As soon as your vegetables is cut, put rice with the onion and eggs back into the cooking pot and put vegetables into the cooking pan instead. Add a small amount of pepper and sunflower oil, if needed. Fry only for short amount of time - vegetables don't need to be fried thoroughly - it will be crunchy and still a little bit fresh. Mix it occasionally.
- In the end, return fried rice with the onion and eggs into the cooking pan and mix with vegetables very thoroughly. Then fry for another few minutes.
As I mentioned before, a version of Fried Rice with meat (most likely chicken) or fish or seafood is also possible.
You can serve your food on plates or in bowls and add cherry tomatoes or fresh spring onions cut on slices on top of it. Bon appetit!