How to Make 'Hello Dollies'
Whenever I'm looking for a good dessert to make for a party or family gathering, I can't go wrong with Hello Dollies. I was introduced to this dessert from the movie, Dick. This is the bar cookie that Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams's characters make for the president that happens to have a "secret ingredient" in it that Nixon ends up craving. I don't add "walnut leaves" to my recipe, but that doesn't make the dessert any less desired. Below is the recipe and instructions on how to whip up this treat.
2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of melted butter
1 cup of chocolate chips
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 9x9 pan (preferably glass)
1 large bowl
1 mixing spoon
1 can opener
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix with a regular mixing spoon until combined. The mixture should be wet and crumbly. This will be the bottom layer of the cookie.
Grease the bottom and sides of your 9x9 pan or spray with cooking spray. I find that the cookie cooks better in a glass pan rather than metal. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and spread around until even.
Pour the chocolate chips on top of the mixture. The recipe calls for one cup, but I usually end up using more than a cup so that they completely covering the top of the mixture.
Open the sweetened condensed milk and pour it over the chcolate chips. Cover the entire pan with milk. It should create a white, gooey layer. You will probably use most of but not the entire can.
Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. I often let it bake for the full 30 minutes. Once finished, the milk should look clear and glossy rather than thick and white. The graham crackers will be soft and soggy. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Once it has cooled, cut the cookies into squares and serve. Enjoy!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Stir until wet and crumbly.
- Grease or spray the bottom and sides of a 9x9 pan. Press the mixture into the pan and spread until even.
- Pour the chocolate chips on top of the mixture.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the chocolate chips.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Wait another 30 minutes before cutting and serving. Makes 12 cookies (squares).