Recipe for Mango and Coconut Cream Caramel Recipe
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 50 min
Ready in: 1 hour 10 min
- 1-1/2 cups superfine sugar, (or granulated sugar)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg
- 2 teaspoons mango extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2/3 cup mango pulp
- 3/4 teaspoon green peppercorns, (optional), coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes, slightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Line up 6 (6-ounce) ramekins. In a small saucepan, gently dissolve a scant cup of sugar with water. Bring to a full boil, and then lower to medium-low until the caramel becomes golden brown (about 5-6 minutes). As soon as the caramel is the right golden brown color, pour a layer of caramel into each ramekin.
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut cream, heavy cream, milk and green peppercorns. Bring to a near boil. Remove from the heat right away. Let the liquid cool a bit.
- Separately, whisk the egg yolks and whole eggs with the rest of the sugar in a mixing bowl until it becomes pale yellow. Add the mango and coconut extracts. Add the dairy liquid with the egg mixture by slowly adding a ladle at a time to prevent the yolks from curdling. Add 5 tablespoons of mango pulp.
- Strain through a fine mesh. Discard the solids (green peppercorns) from the strainer. Fill the 6 ramekins with the mixture. Place them in a warm water bath in a deep baking pan. The water should go half-way up the side of the ramekins. Bake for 10 minutes at 300°F, then lower the heat to 275°F and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes. The texture of the crème caramel should be jiggly but not too liquid.
- Let the crèmes cool first, then plastic-wrap each individual ramekin and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. The texture will become firmer.
- When serving, place a dessert plate onto each ramekin and turn both upside down to unmold the crème caramel onto the plate. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of mango pulp around each crème caramel. Finish by sprinkling 1 teaspoon of coconut flakes.