- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Recipe for Mutton Kadhai
Prep time: 8 hours
Cook time: 45 hours
Ready in: 53 hours
- ½ kilo lamb meat, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 onion grated
- 1 Tbsp dry fenugreek leaves, (Kasury Methy) crushed using fingers
- 3 Tbsp creamy yogurt
- ½ Tbsp minced ginger
- ½ Tbsp minced garlic
- to taste Salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 2 small pieces cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander powder
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds/aniseed
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (1 cup, 200g)
- 2-3 green chillies, Optional, add only if you need to give some heat to the curry
- Wash mutton pieces and drain well. Marinate lamb with the ingredients under marinade and refrigerate in a container with lid for a minimum of 4 hours or over night.
- Bring the marinated meat to room temperature before cooking.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and sauté for few seconds till it leaves aroma. Add in the marinated meat and sauté for 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies and tomatoes and stir fry for 8-10 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the meat is smothered in thick spiced gravy.
- Add ¾ cup water, stir well and cook till done. Adjust the salt. Add a few tablespoons of water for more gravy. Garnish with coriander leaves and ginger juliennes and serve hot with naan.