Recipe for Sweet Butter's Shrimp Ceviche
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
Yields: 1 quart
- 1 pound black tiger shrimp, tail-on
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 onion
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 habanero pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- to taste Sea salt,
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook just
until they turn a light pink, about 1 minute. Drain immediately and
place in an ice bath to cool and stop the cooking process.
- Peel and coarsely chop the shrimp and place in a medium bowl. Toss the shrimp with the lemon juice and set aside for about 1 hour to marinate.
- While the shrimp is marinating, chop the onion, cilantro, tomatoes
and habanero pepper, and place in a large bowl.
- After the shrimp has marinated (it should be whitish-pink and firm
throughout), drain the shrimp, reserving the liquid. Add the hrimp
to the large bowl. Stir in the cumin, pepper, oregano and garlic
powder, and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt. Taste, and add back a little of the strained lemon juice to brighten the flavors,
and season again, if desired, to taste.