Recipe of Chickpea Curry or Chana Masala With Tadka Rice
How do you rate Chickpea curry with Tadka rice
The Versatile chickpea curry
Chickpea curry or Chana masala is a Mughal dish and is considered a healthy choice as chickpeas or garbanzo beans have lots of health benefits. It is my favorite vegetarian maincourse dish. My family loves it with Tadka rice that is why I decided to present the both recipes together however Chana masala / chickpea curry is equally tasty when served with naan or tandoori roti. chickpea curry is served along with achaar/pickle and salad and wedges of lemon to bring out the real authentic flavor of this fancy dish. In Pakistan chickpea curry is also served with poori,halwa and bathooray which is also a kind of poori( fried flat bread). Today I am making chickpea curry with Tadka rice however it goes great with steamed white rice as well.
Delicious chickpea curry
Ingredients for Chickpea Curry
- 1 lb Chickpeas / Garbanzo beans, is same as White chana or cholay
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 Onions, medium size
- 1 Tomato, Medium size
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder, or allspice powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds, or Zeera
- 1 stick Cinnamon, or Daar cheeni
- 2 Black Cardamom, or ilaichi
- 1 Bay leaf, or curry leaves
- 2 tsp Salt, or according to taste
- 2 tsp Red chilli powdwer., or Paprika powder.
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder, or Haldi powder
- 1/2 bunch Green cilantro leaves, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Canola Cooking oil, or vegetable oil
Ingredients for Tadka Rice
- 2 cups of Rice
- 1 tsp of Butter
- 1 tsp of Salt
- Ideally Chickpeas have to be soaked overnight with baking soda mixed in water enough to cover the chickpeas or about at least four hours at least. Although about 4-6 hours works fine.
- For Chickpea curry or Chana Masala , Slice on onion and chop the tomato.
- Chop Green cilantro leaves or hara dhania for garnishing the curry.
- For Tadka rice ,soak rice for twenty minutes to half an hour.
Making chickpea curryClick thumbnail to view full-size
Recipe of Chana Masla
- Heat oil in a pot. Add sliced onions and fry until light brown. Now add the whole spices ,salt,red chilli powder,turmeric powder and stir.
- Add tomato,ginger and garlic paste, green chillis (optional) and some water and let it cook on low flame for about half an hour without letting it stick to the bottom.
- In the meantime boil chicpeas in a big pot with enough water to soak chickpeas and boil them until they are tender but not mashed.Now turn off the flame and drain water from the chickpeas by shifting them in a big colander.
- With a wooden spoon mix very well and make sure most of the Onions an tomatoes are no more visible. You can also grind the onion and then add to the oil in the first step to make it easier. The oil will most likely seperate from the mixture at this point.
- If cooking in a pot, add the drained chick peas and a cup of water and let cook for about an hour on low flame or until chickpeas are completely tender and soe of the chickpeas start to mash up and mix in the curry.
- Use pressure cooker for faster result. If using pressure cooker, pour the chickpeas in a cooker and pressure cook at this step for 2-5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame under pressure cooker and wait for few minutes before opening. Upon opening add chopped cilantro leaves and all spice powder/garam masala powder and mix. Delicious chickpea curry/ Chana masala is ready.
Making Tadka riceClick thumbnail to view full-size
Recipe of Tadka Rice
- Heat a Tbsp of butter or ghee/ oil in a pot and add sliced onion.
- On medium flame ,fry until onions are light brown.
- Add some cumin seeds(optional).
- Add 3 cups of water for Basmati rice and 2 1/2 cup for regular white rice.
- Let water come to a boil.
- Add soaked and drained rice and cook on medium flame until the water dries up.
- Cover the pot with lid and turn to heat to low fr two minutes and then turn off.
- Do not open the lid for ten minutes after turning off the heat.Tadka rice is done and ready to serve with chana masala or an of your favorite curry.